🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I just got a notification about a refund But ...
Page options
riimsha12
Community Member

I just got a notification about a refund But I didn't do that.

Just now I got a notification that you sent a refund of (amount) to (client name). But I didn't do that. I don't know what happened. That was my Fixed Price Job.

2 REPLIES 2
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Rimsha R.,

This is what an Upwork moderator has told us about reversals of payments to freelancers:

Re: Having a serious issue because of a charg... - Upwork Community

"Some reversals (chargebacks) are a result of the client contacting their bank and asking them to reverse the payment.

To give you an idea of what chargebacks are and how they work, they're credit or debit card charge that is forcibly reversed by an issuing bank. A chargeback can occur if a consumer disputes a purchase made using their credit card, claiming that it was fraudulent or made without their knowledge or permission.

In these cases, we look to our Terms of Service (TOS) for guidance and follow it by taking two steps:

1. We seek reimbursement from freelancers/agencies in cases where their client makes a payment, asks their bank to reverse it, and the bank does. (see more detail in sections 6.3-6.5 in our TOS).
2. We review the client’s Upwork account because reversing a payment, in most cases, is against our TOS and can result in us permanently suspending their Upwork account.

Aside from these steps, the Upwork team also helps the freelancer or agency challenge the reversal.

Our team can submit a rebuttal to the client’s bank on the freelancer’s behalf if they provide proof of the work or deliverables. They would need to move quickly, so please provide the requested proof within 48 hours of being notified of the reversal if you’d like us to proceed. Keep in mind that it can take the bank up to 90 days to review and provide their final decision. The client’s bank will have the final say regarding the rebuttal and we have no control over the outcome.

With that being said, I hope you understand that chargebacks are out of Upwork's control but we do our best to help in appealing to the bank."

NikolaS

Hi Rimsha,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members