🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I just got a scammer asking me for a deposit ...
Page options
0e65da53
Community Member

I just got a scammer asking me for a deposit before starting to work. How can I report that to Upwor

I was just talking to someone who copied the companies about from Wikipedia. Then after asking me to translate a text "she" never asked me to see how I did, "she" sent me a contract in name of Appen Limited, where I read about a deposit I had to pay in order to secure the company I was a serious person and that I was not having access to a material that belonged to the company and just disappear later.

Since the copied text, I saw it was a scammer, but I wanted to see how far they were going to take it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Flag it as inappropriate and move on.

In future, do not ever communicate with prospective clients outside the platform until a proper Upwork contract is in place. Not only will that protect you from almost all the scammers, it will also protect you from being suspended for violating the terms of service... (You are not allowed to  communicate with prospective clients outside the platform until a proper Upwork contract is in place)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Flag it as inappropriate and move on.

In future, do not ever communicate with prospective clients outside the platform until a proper Upwork contract is in place. Not only will that protect you from almost all the scammers, it will also protect you from being suspended for violating the terms of service... (You are not allowed to  communicate with prospective clients outside the platform until a proper Upwork contract is in place)

0e65da53
Community Member

Thanks, Petra! 

NikolaS

Hi Tatiana,

Thank you for reaching out to us. As Petra already mentioned, please know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. I  also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Please also check this post for the freelancer resources and tips for avoiding questionable jobs that we put together to help freelancers make decisions whether to work with a client or not.

Additionally, you may want to check this page to find more information on how to stay safe on Upwork. I also see that you share your report with our team on your ticket. Please allow more time for our team to review your case and respond accordingly to your ticket. You will be notified of their response.

~ Nikola
Upwork
0e65da53
Community Member

Hi, Nikola

I actually understood that at first, then I got confused when I read about the freelancer contract we could do for clients outside the platform.

Anyway, this platform didn't work for me, it's so hard for beginners to get the first project, all I get is messages from scammers, as Petra said, I will move on, but not here. I'ts a pity I really thought it could work. I remember that doing the register was a kind of a big job, just a waste of time though.

Even Upwork couldn't help me much, uploading my Cambridge certificate is being a Soap Opera, as we say in Braizil, even that I have followed all the steps needed, the support keeps going in a loop, asking me to do what I have already done.

My profile is kind of poor when it comes to the translating field, I know, but if my cetificate is not even there, it gets things worse. I also know my English is just ok, but I could translate from English to Portuguese then.

Thank you so much for you concern on replying to my post.

Bets Regards,
Tatiana Feitosa

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Flag it as inappropriate, keep flagging all the other scam posts you will come across, and when you do, keep reporting it here as well.

Thanks, Peter!

lucioric
Community Member

stupid scammers that don't care your account compromised nor anything

lucioric
Community Member

if like that in this business being weak makes you able to be considered a terms violator

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members