🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: I just opened an agency to help with a pr...
Page options
05bdda10
Community Member

I just opened an agency to help with a project. My freelancer said he can't see his hourly rate.

The contract shows him as the freelancer, and I can see the details and hourly rate when logged into the agency.

He didn't start work yet because he said he can't see any hourly rate. How can I make sure he knows he will get paid the rate we agreed on when I don't see any place to add a rate for him. I see the contract rate, and I can see his profile rate, but I'm paying him something else.

So far, agency has been confusing, difficult, complicated, and it's only perseverence that made it happen (mine). I can't believe what a mess it appears to be.

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Timothy N wrote:

He didn't start work yet because he said he can't see any hourly rate. How can I make sure he knows he will get paid the rate we agreed on when I don't see any place to add a rate for him. I see the contract rate, and I can see his profile rate, but I'm paying him something else.

Agency freelancers are paid outside the platform (!) by the agency owner. The freelancer's payment has nothing to do with the platform. The client pays the agency and the agency pays the freelancer (outside.)

Agencies are not generally suitable for working with strangers who do not truest you to pay them 100% because there is no recourse for a freelancer if the agency does not pay them.

05bdda10
Community Member

Thanks for the reply. He does trust me, just doesn't trust upwork I think. He knows I will do what's best for him.

I have to pay him outside the platform? What does that mean? Do I have to setup some third party payment for him?

petra_r
Community Member

Timothy N wrote:

I have to pay him outside the platform? What does that mean? Do I have to setup some third party payment for him?

I am sorry, and with all due respect, but why didn't you figure this out before you created an agency and took on a freelancer and a contract?

Yes, payment from agency to agency freelancer is whatever you agree with the freelancer. Cash, bank transfer, PayPal, whatever.

Read more here and here

How did you think the freelancer would get paid?

05bdda10
Community Member

Thanks I see that now.

If upwork wants me to pay the freelancer directly outside the platform they should not force me to setup one freelancer in the contract. But let me choose multiple freelancers to work on a contract. If the agency is getting paid, why force this one to one channel between the client and freelancer. Anyway I'm ranting. I'll figure it out. I started the agency to actually get help with a project and assumed the details would work themselves out. I guess they are.

Oops I just accepted my own post as the answer.  

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members