cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I keep being charged VAT fees and I should not be (I live in the Canary Islands), why?

mmorini
Marilena M Member Since: Jul 16, 2017
1 of 15

I wrote three times to customer support about this issue. The first two times I didn't receive any reply back, the third time I was told, and I quote: "Let me have this checked and I will get back to you as soon as updates become available.", which was nice, but was it just to brush me off? What updates need to become available? The Canary Islands are a Free Port, we are outside the VIES system and here below is exactly what tax obligations are:

- If the client is a COMPANY or SELF-EMPLOYED residing in SPAIN, we pay the 7% IRPEF (for the first year, and 15% for the 3 years following the first);

- If the client is a PRIVATE in SPAIN we don't pay anything at all;

- If invoices to SELF-EMPLOYED or-or a PRIVATE or a COMPANY residing abroad, meaning the entire world aside from the Canary Island and Spain (therefore including in the European Union), we don't pay anything at all.

I replied to CS's awkward feedback informing them of all this and providing my self-employed documents and I did not receive any replies after that.

I don't know what to do about this anymore. Do I open another ticket? It has added up to a noticeable amount now and it is just retained from me with no cause, and... wouldn't you know? I need that money.

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
2 of 15

Hi Marilena,

Please be patient as our team is working on your ticket and they will respond back to you in details soon. Feel free to state the contracts ID`s that you have been charged VAT on, and our team will review them as well.

~ Goran
Upwork
mmorini
3 of 15

Thank you, Goran,

Well the contracts ID's is ALL of them, do you think it will speed up things if I give them a detailed list, nonetheless? Ald should I open a new ticket or just reply to their reply?

Thanks again!

dalilarodriguez
Dalila R Member Since: Mar 15, 2021
4 of 15

Hi!

I'm just starting in Upwork and my first report is also charged with VAT. I live in Canary Islands so I don't need to get charged by that. Can you help me out with this too? Thanks!

andregutierrez22
Andrea G Moderator Member Since: Jul 7, 2020
5 of 15

Hi Dalila,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
BEST ANSWER
6 of 15

Hi Marilena,

Its best to keep all of the communication on one place so that we can be more efficient in assisting you, there is no need to open new ticket. 

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

mmorini
7 of 15

Thank you so much, you have been a great help. Have a good Sunday!

pj_p
Patricia P Member Since: Nov 26, 2018
8 of 15

I am about to start working via Upwork and I live in the Canary islands. Can someone tell me how this non-VAT issue was solved? Thanks!

mmorini
9 of 15
I was the one writing this post in the first place. I contacted Customer
Support twice about it by email and after prooving with all the due
documentation (NIE, Alta, etc.) that I indeed lived, was registered as
autonomous worker and paid taxes in the Canary Islands, they refounded all
my VAT fees and never charged me for it again.
pj_p
Patricia P Member Since: Nov 26, 2018
10 of 15

Thanks, that is very useful information! Saludos desde GC.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS