🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I keep seeing clients posting "private propos...
Page options
arrossi_joaquin
Community Member

I keep seeing clients posting "private proposals" to freelancers as a public job

I keep seeing it while browsing through the job list, clients who are inytending to send a private message to a certain freelancer and instead posting it as a job offfer. My inital thpught is that something about the user interface is making them click something thinking it does something else, I wouldnt know as I dont have a client profile. However, I see this happen at least one a day. Sometimes I send a proposal anyways. Does this happen to anyone else?

8 REPLIES 8
deborah-ponzio
Community Member

Yes, I see that too

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Joaquin, and Deborah,

I'm not quite sure what you two mean. Can you please send me a private message with job posts so that I can check?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Just sent you a few examples!

studioconstantin
Community Member

Hello

I sometimes see job posts that start like a private message to a particular freelancer and i am courious whats is about them, if they are mistakenly posted to the public or they are some kind of copy and paste from a private message? They all starty something like "Hello X, could you do this or that" etc...

Hi all,

Our team is currently investigating why this is happening. Once we have an update, we'll post it here.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thanks! Actually this is happening for months already but i just thought to ask it here today.

They're probably just clients who wanted to post an "invitation only" project, but didn't know how to do it.

Christine A wrote:

They're probably just clients who wanted to post an "invitation only" project, but didn't know how to do it.

Yeah, this is the reason - I have a client profile as well since I sometimes outsource small tasks, and people who are not tech-savvy, or not reading properly, or whatever the case may be, will put the "invite" text that is supposed to go to the freelancer in a private invitation in the job post description instead.

That being said I have totally "stolen" jobs from people, lol - if I think something is highly suitable for me, I will reach out anyways even if they are very clearly trying to address a specific person. Sometimes the original invitee doesn't reply, other times they like my portfolio better, etc., so if you think a project is a really good fit I would say apply anyways (unless you are new and being somewhat careful about your connects, I was a little more cautious during the first month of being on the site).

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths