Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm Losing Hope

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
21 of 30

Newer freelancers seems to spend an awful lot of time imagining patterns and cause and effect and then wanting Upwork to change systems based on their assumptions. That's not the way to make money.

I usually invite a few freelancers to every job I post. Nearly always, I end up hiring someone I didn't invite. As a freelancer, I've been hired on jobs where the client was already interviewing multiple people when I submitted my proposal.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
22 of 30

Cedrick V wrote:

it's just so unfair that you let the client send invites while 20 - 50 freelancers are there in line waiting.

Whaaaat? I don't post jobs often, but when I do, I want to be able to invite whoever I want even if the job is public. It has happened to me that the proposals I got were meh and that I decided to invite people. If you're not happy with how Upwork works, you're free to stop using it.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Felix E.K. S Member Since: Sep 7, 2016
23 of 30

Ah, I don't get it at all.

I totally agree with Cedrick V on this. Excuse my words but all the responses here are off the mark.

I honestly think that Upwork got all this wrong; perhaps they needed to do their homework well, weigh the options before rolling this out. Yes, I understand they want to make the platform better, but then not like this.

A lot of people are complaining about this "**bleep**", and so that should tell you the level of frustrations out there. This is what a colleague of mine went through recently;

She was on the basic plan and ran out of connects. Saw a job that matched her skills, bought connects, applied for the job with less than 15 proposals submitted by then. Client begun the interview process with her, and asked her to download the Excel files to be worked on and do a trial. Later, she realized the client was interviewing 2 more freelancers. That did not deter her. She went ahead, did the trial and sent the file to the client only to be told by the client that he no longer needed the work done. What about that? She just lost 4 connects out of the 10 she bought, and with money.

This is just one of the many frustrations out there.

The buttomline is that Upwork is milking us. You charge me when I get paid by clients, and that was increased not long ago. And now this???

What is more to all this is that I do not see any improvement in the system; in that I do not see what impacts this system has so far made. I still see more than 50 proposals submitted on jobs, and that perhaps is because it is not everyone who has been moved to the new plan. And if that is the case, then the freelancer who had to buy connects is being disadvantaged; likewise the Pro-freelancer who had to pay $14.99 every month.

It's sickening!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
24 of 30

Your friend was **Edited for Community Guidelines** to do that free work. Hope she learned her lesson.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Felix E.K. S Member Since: Sep 7, 2016
25 of 30

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

A little education here. A lot of clients who post data entry jobs here on Upwork, and that requires that you work in Excel, would usually ask freelancers to do a trial to be sure they could do the work before awarding contracts. This is a very common phenomenon within the Data Entry, Web research and Excel work circles.

A check on your profiles show that  you do not do such work, and I would not blame you for your "ignorance" in that regards. That is what my friend did. The actual job required that the hired freelancer cleanse and merge a total of 80 spreadsheets. As a result, she was asked to do a trial on 2 of the spreadsheets before being awarded the job.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Smiley LOL

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
26 of 30

Felix S wrote:

.....A little education here.

....... I would not blame you for your "ignorance" in that regards. she was asked to do a trial on 2 of ..... the spreadsheets before being awarded the job.

Wow. Ignorance AND arrogance in one makes such an ugly combo... Pick one, or the other.

Such public displays of cluelessness, while calling those who know what they are talking about "ignorant", tend to backfire.

Clients asking for free work are breaking the terms of service.

Freelancers who do free work are free to do so, but shouldn't whine about it having chosen to so so.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
27 of 30

Felix S wrote:

A little education here. A lot of clients who post data entry jobs here on Upwork, and that requires that you work in Excel, would usually ask freelancers to do a trial to be sure they could do the work before awarding contracts. This is a very common phenomenon within the Data Entry, Web research and Excel work circles.

A check on your profiles show that  you do not do such work, and I would not blame you for your "ignorance" in that regards. That is what my friend did. The actual job required that the hired freelancer cleanse and merge a total of 80 spreadsheets. As a result, she was asked to do a trial on 2 of the spreadsheets before being awarded the job.

Smiley LOL

Freelancers have the ability to create contracts and milestones and soon will have the ability to create new milestones in existing contracts... there is no good reason to work for free. You just say "I'm sorry that's a violation of Upwork's TOS. How about $X for the trial? I will be happy to set it up for you."

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
28 of 30

Felix, what you've just described to us is that your friend ignored Upwork's near-constant warnings against free work and helped the client who requested it violate the TOS, but you think that Upwork should somehow have protected her from her own decision to blatantly disregard the rules?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
29 of 30

Tiffany S wrote:

Felix, what you've just described to us is that your friend ignored Upwork's near-constant warnings against free work and helped the client who requested it violate the TOS, but you think that Upwork should somehow have protected her from her own decision to blatantly disregard the rules?

Next he will complain that another client promised to pay him through Paypal, then didn't, and he'll want Upwork to fix it.

Reminds me of the girl in another thread who said she always uses Upwork to complete her first project with clients, because she thinks Upwork "deserves" it, but then goes off platform for subsequent work.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
30 of 30

Felix S wrote:

This is what a colleague of mine went through recently;

What does this have to do with anything? I don't know why your colleague accepted to work for free, but at which point is this Upwork's fault?

And speaking of frustration, man, only a tiny fraction of people on Upwork earn money. Yes, many of them earn very well, but the majority earns almost nothing. Like any other, this marketplace is hyper-competitive, it has way more freelancers then clients, way too many of them. It just doesn't work for everyone. Is that what frustrates you?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS