🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: I'm a Freelancer who just formed single-m...
Page options
vanjordan46
Community Member

I'm a Freelancer who just formed single-member LLC. Should I become an agency?

I am currently a freelancer, but I just incorporated as a single-member LLC. Can I work on projects under this company name? Do I need to become an agency? If so, how do I become one?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dsmgdesign
Community Member

Can I work on projects under this company name? No. You must use your real, verifiable name (as it appears on a drivers license or other government issued ID) according to Upwork's Terms of Service.

Do I need to become an agency? If your question is do you need to become an agency if you want to use your LLC name...the answer is YES, if it's not the same as your real, verifiable name. If your question is do you need to become an agency if you want to operate under your LLC, the answer is NO. You can use your real name, and still operate your business as an LLC if you wish. Tiffany already explained how you can do this. 

If so, how do I become one? Go here for instructions on how to create an agency: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067598-Create-an-Agency. There are also a plethora of resources just for agencies in the help section to help you along the way.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tlsanders
Community Member

Is it important to you to use your company name as your profile name? Asking because I also operate as an LLC, and my tax information and banking information with Upwork is for my LLC, but I use my own name on my profile (which works as long as your name is on the LLC bank account as an authorized signer).

How do you ensure the liability protection of the LLC if your customers only see your name and not your LLC?

dsmgdesign
Community Member

Can I work on projects under this company name? No. You must use your real, verifiable name (as it appears on a drivers license or other government issued ID) according to Upwork's Terms of Service.

Do I need to become an agency? If your question is do you need to become an agency if you want to use your LLC name...the answer is YES, if it's not the same as your real, verifiable name. If your question is do you need to become an agency if you want to operate under your LLC, the answer is NO. You can use your real name, and still operate your business as an LLC if you wish. Tiffany already explained how you can do this. 

If so, how do I become one? Go here for instructions on how to create an agency: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067598-Create-an-Agency. There are also a plethora of resources just for agencies in the help section to help you along the way.

That pretty much answers my question. Thank you. I'm assuming this means I can work as a Freelancer and as an Agency? 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths