Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm afraid my existence harms

quijibo
Community Guru
Alexander F Member Since: Mar 10, 2017
11 of 15

**Edited for Community Guidelines** It is as simple as saying "sure, I can do that test for you, please create a milestone and fund it so I can get started".

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
12 of 15

@Letizia F wrote:

@Tiffany: 

I understand what you mean, and - in the case of freelancers not willing of educating themeselves - of course I can only agree with you. However, I don't believe it's * always * a matter of "choosing not to" read the resources etc. Sometimes it CAN be a human error, especially when you consider English language limitations for non-native English speakers. That's why I believe that it's clients bidding "dirty jobs" the ones who should be blamed in the first place. And I know that Upwork put in place the possibility of flagging those jobs, which is great.

I definitely agree that the clients are also to blame--the fact that freelancers should not cooperate in their scams doesn't change the fact that they are perpetrating scams. 

@Wendy:

I'm a bit confused: you said you bid on one of those test jobs. Then you seem to blame the other participants because they gave free work. From my understanding, the only difference between you and the others is that you won the job and got paid. If it didn't go that way, you would have supplied free work too, wouldn't you? My question is: since you do have clear ideas and opinions about the wrongness of supplying free work, why did YOU participate in such job in first place, instead of flagging it?

What Wendy was saying was that she was paid to do the test itself--ithere was a funded milestone for the test, and if it hadn't worked out and she hadn't been awarded the rest of the job, she would still have received full payment for the work she put in on the test page. Clients aren't allowed to request free work under the guise of testing, but paid testing is allowed. 

letizia-farisato
Ace Contributor
Letizia F Member Since: Mar 18, 2012
13 of 15

Those “dumb” or "idiot" adjectives that I saw in this thread do not sound right to me. I am still convinced that some freelancers may make mistakes. We all do. And in those cases, they’ll learn their lesson, sure. Yet, I wouldn’t call them “dumb” nor "idiots". Instead, I would call those clients “dishonest”.

Should always blame the perpetrator, not the victim.

In general, in fact, my point is that I believe that ANYONE - clients or feelancers - requesting or offering free work *intentionally*, should be blamed.
As a freelancer escaping from scam jobs quite often, I feel more solidarity with other freelancers, I must say that (besides, dishonest freelancers can probably hold this game less than clients, anyway, while these last ones have really nothing to lose), although I am still convinced that it’s a small percentage of clients (or freelancers!) that are not playing fair. Regarding all those ones, anyway, maybe it's just a "fifty-fifty" game of “who’s to be blamed”, clients or freelancers. As we say over here in Italy, "The glass is half empty, or half full": it depends on how you look at it :-)

Again, I believe that information, information, information, AND getting informed, of course, is the key to make things better for everybody.

@Tiffany: 

Thanks for your explanations on Wendy’s post. It's now clear! :-)

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
14 of 15

Letizia, the correct order of the scenario above:

1. Client posted RFP - which did NOT ask for free work

2. I BID on RFP - along with 20-50 others

3. Client opened a discussion with me and a dozen others as per "in discussions"

4. A few discussions (Skype was a detailed one and was duly copy/pasted and sent to temporary U workroom; the rest were via U. messaging) allowed me to gain a more complete understanding of what was needed for the full job. It also gave client and me enough contact to know we 'synced' and could work together.

5. Client requested a Test Job from all those in the final running for job

6. I told client I charged for it and quoted $s.

7. Client told me I was the ONLY bidder to have done this.  Client also told me others had offered - or worse yet, attached free work and included it in their original proposals.

8. Client issued private invite.

9. I accepted and was paid for test job

10. I was awarded the full job.

letizia-farisato
Ace Contributor
Letizia F Member Since: Mar 18, 2012
15 of 15

Thanks Tiffany and Wendy for clarifying that.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS