🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I'm getting emails asking to collaborate with...
Page options
r_skane
Community Member

I'm getting emails asking to collaborate with non-Upwork users

I've begun receiving emails that seem very desperate. People are asking me to collaborate with them through Upwork. To take assignments, send them the work, receive payment via Upwork, take a commission and send the rest to them.

Either they got banned from Upwork or no longer have access.

I know some people do outsource but as both a freelancer and a client, I want to hire a developer when I need one who does the work themselves, someone who does not outsource. 

Anyhow, it's strange that I suddenly started to receive these emails and not just emails. The desperation is real. They are finding my skype address, social media. etc etc. I've been inundated with messages today referencing my Upwork account.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Wow. That's weird. And shady. I'd turn them all down and stop all communication with them. Cooperating would more than likely violate the Upwork ToS in many ways. Plus, I think that would really open yourself up to being scammed as you'd be outside of Upwork's near bullet-proof umbrella of protection. I'm sure we'll soon hear from others experiencing the same thing.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Wow. That's weird. And shady. I'd turn them all down and stop all communication with them. Cooperating would more than likely violate the Upwork ToS in many ways. Plus, I think that would really open yourself up to being scammed as you'd be outside of Upwork's near bullet-proof umbrella of protection. I'm sure we'll soon hear from others experiencing the same thing.

That's pretty much exactly what I've been replying with. It would definitely violate the ToS - not to mention the tax implications. And the possibility of being severely scammed financially. 

Some people want to use the site but can't or won't do it directly. It could be they've been banned, or they're in a country where Upwork isn't available, or they want to scam somebody and don't want to be accountable. Some even ask people to rent their accounts to them. 

What you described is certainly not how Upwork intends for its system to be used.

I can't really imagine how a freelancer could get involved with something like this without it ending badly.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rebecca,

It is against Upwork’s Terms of Service to use information discovered on Upwork to identify and make unsolicited contact with another Upwork user outside of Upwork. Please refer to this help article on how to report this violation.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members