🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I'm not able to accept offer from Client it s...
Page options
aabramowitz
Community Member

I'm not able to accept offer from Client it says his account is on hold.

Hello, Upwork community!

I have a question in regards to offers received. A client sent me an offer 4 days ago and when I was about to accept it a red message popped up letting me know "This client's account is on a temporary hold. Once the issue is resolved, you can accept their offer." I have messaged the client about the issue and he said it was because the business was setting up their business Paypal account. 

He messaged me again saying I would be able to accept it. I tried once more and again the same message. My question: The offer expires on Sunday, will it affect my JS negatively because I wasn't able to accept the offer? This has never happened to me before. 

Thank you, Upwork Community

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ericaandrews
Community Member

Your JSS would not be affected because if you don't/can't accept the offer, then there is no "job" to impact your score.   It only becomes a "job" once the offer is accepted.   Freelancers don't get penalized for NOT accepting a job offer: I've actually declined/rejected job offers before because the client tried to hire me at a rate lower than what I told them I'd accept.  My JSS was never impacted.  So I assume if you can flat out 'decline' an offer without penalty, you can certainly 'do nothing' with an offer without penalty.

As for the client, they may need additional help from Upwork setting up their payment method, OR they might have no intention of setting one up and were just "hoping" they could get you to do a job without pay.

You should encourage your client to reach out to Upwork Support and remind them the job offer expires Sunday.  Even if the job offer expires, they can always send another one after they get their payment method straightened out.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ericaandrews
Community Member

Your JSS would not be affected because if you don't/can't accept the offer, then there is no "job" to impact your score.   It only becomes a "job" once the offer is accepted.   Freelancers don't get penalized for NOT accepting a job offer: I've actually declined/rejected job offers before because the client tried to hire me at a rate lower than what I told them I'd accept.  My JSS was never impacted.  So I assume if you can flat out 'decline' an offer without penalty, you can certainly 'do nothing' with an offer without penalty.

As for the client, they may need additional help from Upwork setting up their payment method, OR they might have no intention of setting one up and were just "hoping" they could get you to do a job without pay.

You should encourage your client to reach out to Upwork Support and remind them the job offer expires Sunday.  Even if the job offer expires, they can always send another one after they get their payment method straightened out.

Hi CJ, 

Thank you for your quick response. I was a bit worried about my JS since this has never happened to an offer sent. 

As for the client, I'm able to vet them quite well and he is an Upwork Client Plus and spent quite a bit on Upwork, I believe it may be an issue on their account and I have told him to contact his Upwork support team. The work is obviously on hold until this is fixed!

Thank you again for your response!
Have a great day!

Their account could also be "on hold" because of their location or Upwork not being 'sure' of their location.  I have seen several complaints about some Upwork accounts accidentally being "put on hold" because Upwork's system thought the client or freelancer was in Russia or Belarus when the person wasn't in either of those countries.  Definitely encourage them to contact Upwork Support if they put in a working Paypal and the account is still "on hold" because some other error may be going on.

Either way, if your new client has already been doing lots of hiring on Upwork, they are probably just as eager as you to get the payment method fixed because it could be holding up some of their existing contracts. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths