🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I need advice
Page options
roberty1y
Community Member

I need advice

I need to download a client's app for a job I'm doing. It's from the Apple Store, but I only have Windows 10. The client says it's Android compatible, but it won't download on my Android phone either. The Apple Store page says it's only compatible with a Mac, iPad or iPhone. I'd like to get this job done, and I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

You can purchase Mac OS computers, iPads and iPhones here:

https://www.apple.com/

Preston H wrote:

Thanks, but I'm not about to buy one just for the sake of one job. I've been trying to find software that'll make Android (or Windows) support iOS, but there's not much available, and it's risky.

Robert Y wrote:

Preston H wrote:

Thanks, but I'm not about to buy one just for the sake of one job. I've been trying to find software that'll make Android (or Windows) support iOS, but there's not much available, and it's risky.

Even if there are emulators like that they won't work properly. You won't be able to finish the job unless you get a iOS device.

Viacheslav K wrote:

Robert Y wrote:

Preston H wrote:

Even if there are emulators like that they won't work properly. You won't be able to finish the job unless you get a iOS device.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I might have to invest in a Mac. 

If the client REALLY wants to use the final device on an iPad in his stockroom, I would want to have the actual model he plans on using the most. If the client wants this device to primarily be used by iPhone owners, I would want to have a current model iPhone.

Preston H wrote:

If the client REALLY wants to use the final device on an iPad in his stockroom, I would want to have the actual model he plans on using the most. If the client wants this device to primarily be used by iPhone owners, I would want to have a current model iPhone.

It's actually a very simple app to go with a website whose content I'm writing, so I just need to know enough to describe how it works. It's really the type of thing that should be compatible with a wide range of devices, new and old, as it's not something aimed exclusively at tech savvy people.

Robert Y wrote:

It's actually a very simple app to go with a website whose content I'm writing, so I just need to know enough to describe how it works. It's really the type of thing that should be compatible with a wide range of devices, new and old, as it's not something aimed exclusively at tech savvy people.

Google "iphone emulator website" - I haven't used any of these, but they claim to offer simulations for app testing, so they might do what you want.

Robert, I work with a lot of researchers and small businesses who build their initial aps on iOS. I don't have any Apple products so that was a challenge. I finally ended up getting a small iPhone SE so I could separate work phone from personal phone, and I chose an iPhone specifically because of this need with my clients to do some things with an Apple product. 

It wasn't very expensive, but considering the use I get out of it for work, it was worth it. 

Amanda L wrote:

Robert, I work with a lot of researchers and small businesses who build their initial aps on iOS. I don't have any Apple products so that was a challenge. I finally ended up getting a small iPhone SE so I could separate work phone from personal phone, and I chose an iPhone specifically because of this need with my clients to do some things with an Apple product. 

It wasn't very expensive, but considering the use I get out of it for work, it was worth it. 

Thanks Amanda, I think I'll do that, as I'll surely end up being in the same situation again. I kind of resent having to buy one, because I never use smartphones of any kind, even though I was given one by a friend. I'll opt for the cheapest. 

Wes - thanks, I know about the emulators, but they don't seem to be entirely reliable. 

Robert Y wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

Thanks Amanda, I think I'll do that, as I'll surely end up being in the same situation again. I kind of resent having to buy one, because I never use smartphones of any kind, even though I was given one by a friend. I'll opt for the cheapest. 

Wes - thanks, I know about the emulators, but they don't seem to be entirely reliable. 

I opted for the cheapest as well. I only use it for work calls and texts, and to access iOS things for work. I think it was only like a $500 purchase. A phone plan itself can be relatively inexpensive if you don't need that much data. I only use it really when I'm on wifi, so that helps. And it's 100% a business expense and, therefore, deductible (in the US). 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths