cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help :( I'm new

shaikavelasco
Active

I really wanna have a job cause I wanna help my parents. But I'm almost out of connects! Can someone please help? Or maybe recommend me to a client? I am willing to accept a job at the lowest rate. I do Admin Support/Data Entry?Web Research and I am available 14-15 hours a day. Please help me.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hbbabiar
Community Leader

Shaika,

The competition is very strong here. When you are new, as you are, it can be extremely difficult to get hired for a job. But it can be done! Every one of us at one time was starting out with a clean slate and no work history. 

I recommend that you spend the time and read through this thread. There is a lot of very valuable information there. 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Want-to-get-that-first-job-Then-check-this-out/td-p/2145...

When I look at your profile, the first thing I notice is that you scored below average on 3 tests. You may want to hide those results. Go to your profile page and scroll down to the box with the tests. Under "Display on profile" select "NO" for those tests you did not do well on. You can take them again in the future and try to improve your score. Until then, it will only hurt your chances to keep them visible.

You have no items in your portfolio. If possible, add some things that you have done which are relevant to the skills you are marketing. 

Your profile should be tightened up a bit. There are others here who can offer more specific advice. I can tell you what I did when I started out here 4 months ago. My specialty is translating. I spent several hours looking at the profiles of established translators. I had never freelanced online before, and I was unsure how I should structure my profile. So I looked at how my competition was marketing themselves. At the top of the screen, click on the magnifying lens and select Freelancers. Then type in, for example, "data entry". You will see freelancers who, among other skills, also offer data entry. Look at their profiles. Get some ideas from them that you can incorporate into your profile, without blatantly copying their text, of course. Also take note of the hourly rates they are charging.

screen1.JPG

Look at your profile from the perspective of a client looking to hire somebody. Would it convince you, the client?

Good luck!

Bruno

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
hbbabiar
Community Leader

Shaika,

The competition is very strong here. When you are new, as you are, it can be extremely difficult to get hired for a job. But it can be done! Every one of us at one time was starting out with a clean slate and no work history. 

I recommend that you spend the time and read through this thread. There is a lot of very valuable information there. 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Want-to-get-that-first-job-Then-check-this-out/td-p/2145...

When I look at your profile, the first thing I notice is that you scored below average on 3 tests. You may want to hide those results. Go to your profile page and scroll down to the box with the tests. Under "Display on profile" select "NO" for those tests you did not do well on. You can take them again in the future and try to improve your score. Until then, it will only hurt your chances to keep them visible.

You have no items in your portfolio. If possible, add some things that you have done which are relevant to the skills you are marketing. 

Your profile should be tightened up a bit. There are others here who can offer more specific advice. I can tell you what I did when I started out here 4 months ago. My specialty is translating. I spent several hours looking at the profiles of established translators. I had never freelanced online before, and I was unsure how I should structure my profile. So I looked at how my competition was marketing themselves. At the top of the screen, click on the magnifying lens and select Freelancers. Then type in, for example, "data entry". You will see freelancers who, among other skills, also offer data entry. Look at their profiles. Get some ideas from them that you can incorporate into your profile, without blatantly copying their text, of course. Also take note of the hourly rates they are charging.

screen1.JPG

Look at your profile from the perspective of a client looking to hire somebody. Would it convince you, the client?

Good luck!

Bruno

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS