🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I need help gracefully extricating myself fro...
Page options
acc93e39
Community Member

I need help gracefully extricating myself from a contract.

Thanks in advance for your input. 

I accepted a contract from a client who'd said they would send me additional paperwork (NDA, rights) before the job started. They never sent the paperwork, but did start the contract. Of course, I didn't start the work because I didn't want to begin anything without seeing exactly what I was getting into. 

After a week of nothing from the client, I sent a note to follow up. Nothing for another 5 days after that, either. I sent yet another note saying that I wouldn't be able to start until I got the contracts. She writes back and says that she's sorry for the delayed response, but she'd decided to just go with the Upwork contract and she'd send me the other contracts now, if I really wanted them. Note, she put that I'd have to sign an NDA etc. in the job description.

I feel that there are several red flags at this point and no longer want to do the job. She didn't communicate and, for the nature of the work, I feel that solid contracts are necessary. However, this would be my 3rd job on here, and I know that it'll be a ding on my feedback. Any idea how I can get out of this as gracefully as possible?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Jeanette,

The Upwork Terms of Service contain default non-disclosure terms which many clients consider sufficient for this purpose. You can read this help article to learn more.  If you prefer to end the contract, please inform your client politely. If this was previously agreed upon before you accepted the contract offer, then you may explain it to them.

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
efc5e71c
Community Member

Is it hourly, or fixed rate?

Do you have the information you need to do the job?

If so, why not proceed? Especially since you have it in writing that the client decided not to bother with the nda.

Fixed rate. And the nature of the job really, REALLY requires an NDA. It would be standard for this. Plus, it's not just the NDA, it's rights and permissions, too.

JoanneP

Hi Jeanette,

The Upwork Terms of Service contain default non-disclosure terms which many clients consider sufficient for this purpose. You can read this help article to learn more.  If you prefer to end the contract, please inform your client politely. If this was previously agreed upon before you accepted the contract offer, then you may explain it to them.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members