Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help landing my first job as an accountant/bookkeeper on Upwork

Highlighted
Michelle T Member Since: Apr 11, 2018
1 of 5

Hi! 
I have been on Upwork for about 2 months now and I have really worked hard at making my profile as complete as possible.  I have taken exams an added my QBO proadvisor certification.  I have been very active trying to get in and put in proposals within the first 2-3 hours of job posting that I am interested in and only applying for ones that I am qualified for.  I would really appreciate any advice I can get.  I know that I just need that first job or two to have some reviews and I will be in a much better place.  
I will add a link to my profile for reference.  
Thanks so much!!
Michelle

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
2 of 5

Hi Michelle,

I can understand that it can be really dissapointing when you don't get hired or the client doesn't respond to your proposal, but please don't give up on sending proposals to potential clients. You may want to consider checking out these helpful blog articles to help you write winning proposals, improve your profile and tips on how to be successful on Upwork. Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance.

-Joanne
Untitled
3 of 5

Thank you!  I think I have read some of these but maybe not all. I will check them out. Thanks so much Smiley Happy

Michelle

Roxanne R Member Since: May 2, 2018
4 of 5

Hi Michelle,

I took a look at your profile and three things stood out:

1. "I have been a controller for 12 years and an accountant for 20 years. I want to bring that experience to you to help you manage your small business." This should be your lead-in. This is your "hook" that will keep clients reading.

2. You may want to consider listing out your skills in bullets. Bullets are easy to read and will quickly give potential clients a snapshot of your skillset.

3. I recently received some advice on my own profile that I think might apply to you, as well: hide any mediocre test scores that are closely related to your profession.

Upwork can take a really long time. I've been here for 3 months and I still only have 2 clients. The popular advice: be patient and keep trying.

Hope this helps a little.

Good luck!

5 of 5

Thank you so much!  and I love the idea of the bullet points!  I never thought about that.  I will go back and make a few changes.  Thanks so much for the input.  I know I am getting impatient and I dont mean to.  I just know I can do the work and I want to work - I never saw myself getting into marketing so this is all new.
Thanks again...I really appreciate the input and good luck to you!!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS