🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: I need help verifying a client
Page options
Community Member

I need help verifying a client

I have 2 clients that want to take interview off Upwork.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

and

Please verify that they are legit, who they are, and actually in the US. 

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

That is not how this works.

NikolaS

Hi Florence,

Thank you for reaching out to us and bringing this to our attention. I've checked and it looks like the jobs have already been taken down because they were in violation of Upwork's Terms of Service and appropriate actions have been taken on clients accounts. 

Please know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here

You may want to check this post for the freelancer resources and tips for avoiding questionable jobs that we put together to help freelancers make decisions whether to work with a client or not. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Florence F wrote:

and

You need to make your own determination if a client is legit or not. If you find something that seems to be against upwork ToS, flag the job posting. Read the ToS carefully and adhere to them strictly yourself. 

Florence:

You specified the names of two clients in your original post.

It is important to understand that the client names don't matter.

Behavior is what matters.

If a client behaves improperly, it does not matter what their name is.

If a client asks you to communicate off-platform prior to being officially hired, then tell them you can only communicate using the Upwork Messages tool, until a contract is in place.

If they hire you, that's great! Lots of clients hire me so that they can communicate using their preferred method. If they communicate with you using the Upwork Messaages tool, that's great.

If they don't do either of those things, they are a scammer or a rule-breaker. Use the "Flag as inappropriate" option to report them.

jr-translation
Community Member

Florence F wrote:

and

Taking the interview off Upwork is a ToS violation. You need to do some homework and read and understand the ToS. You have confirmed several times that you know and accept the ToS but your post indicates that it might not be the case.

You should also spend some more time on your profile and decide whether your hourly rate is $3, $25, or $35. Personally I would refund the $1 and have a less deserate work history.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members