🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I need help with Tax/Vat in Europe
Page options
36c8c7dd
Community Member

I need help with Tax/Vat in Europe

I got my first job, and I thought that taxes integrated into the 20% cut that Upwork gets off every job, but now I see that I have to complete a W-8BEN.

Problem is that I have no idea what that is.

Can someone help me?

9 REPLIES 9
JoanneP

Hi Marios,

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. To provide Upwork with your Form W-8BEN information, kindly check the steps below:

• Go Settings  Tax Information
  • Provide us with your legal name and address
~ Joanne
Upwork
36c8c7dd
Community Member

When you say address, do you mean just my street address, or should I put my town and my area code?

Hi Marios,

Please provide your full physical address.

~Andrea
Upwork
36c8c7dd
Community Member

Under the Tax Information - Tax Residence field, right?

Also, will people that look at my profile or hire me see my actual address, even my street, or is it just for Upwork and my profile will only show my country and my town? 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Marios,

That is correct, the address added under the "Tax Residence" section is displayed only on invoices. 

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
36c8c7dd
Community Member

Sorry, but I got confused.

Will people who hire me be able to see my actual address? That sounds kinda risky. Can't I just put my town and country? 

Hi Marios,

Your address won't be shared with the clients who will hire you. Only your city and country are displayed on your freelancer profile.

~ Joanne
Upwork
36c8c7dd
Community Member

Then what does this mean:

"This address will be displayed on invoices"?

Because from my understanding this means that anyone that will hire me would be able to see my address. 

Hi Marios,

Thank you for your message. Your address listed on the Tax information page will be displayed on invoices for both you and your clients.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members