cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need money again

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
1 of 24
Not many of my earlier clients contacted me in recent. That's fine. So I'm forced to apply for new jobs. There I saw one, clicked "apply", wrote my cover letter... and questions began. First, my favorite: 1. "Why did you apply to this particular job?" 2. "Do you have any questions about the job description?" 3. "Do you have suggestions to make this project run successfully?" 4. "Why do you think you are a good fit for this particular project?" 5. "What challenging part of this job are you most experienced in?" I was so close to answer "Dealing with idiotic questions like all these above." then I remembered I actually need that money so I lied again "Coming with new ideas." Wonderful. Thank you oDesk marketing agents for forcing me to feel like an idiot. I really appreciate that.
2 of 24
I agree some of these questions being asked don't make sense.
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
3 of 24
The pre-written screening questions are supposed to be used properly. Unfortunately, some clients just choose the questions for the sake of it and some have no relevance to the advertised job. It can get quite annoying.
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
4 of 24
I'm really not sure why people hate these questions so much, they are standard for most job applications in the 'real world' as well. Maybe even more questions. If the job description doesn't have enough info for you to think of answers to these questions, then it shows it inexperience of the person posting it... a perfect opportunity for you to show your knowledge and guide them. It's a win / win. perception is everything.
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
5 of 24
Tony, the questions wouldn't be a problem if they were always relevant. Some clients do not think of how they relate to the role, it sometimes feels as though they randomly chose the questions because they were available. Also, a lot of the answers are written within my cover letter. I find that I have to repeat myself. Some clients get it right and some don't.
John B Member Since: Oct 23, 2011
6 of 24
I agree entirely. These "questions" have turned me away from many job postings and the site as a whole. I've never had an issue simply providing my skill sets in the main application text box. This site has gone to the dogs anyways. Everyone wants writing done for less than a penny a word. There are no more good jobs. It's sad really. The most horrifying aspect is that the garbage people pump out for those prices are being published on the web somewhere.
Community Guru
7 of 24
This is job description: "PowerPoint support is needed! Some creation of some tables etc." Just this. Questions are: 1. Do you have any questions about the job description? 2. Why did you apply to this particular job? I just couldn't. I hope my sentence is grammatically correct. He/she can report me to oDesk but somehow I just don't care. This is my answer: "Haha. Funny question. Because creating tables in PowerPoint is something I dreamed of when i was eight year old child."
8 of 24
ha... and it's because instead of bedtime stories, you had PowerPoint slides, right?
Community Guru
9 of 24
Exactly.
10 of 24
These 'questions' are 90% of the time a pathetic waste of time. The client will write a non-descriptive job posting that lacks any real detail, then i get to the next page where i'm littered with questions that i genuinely can't ask. Clients job post: "I need a Wordpress website for the health industry" Question: "What do you think will take the most time in this project" How can i even reply to that question with a legitimate answer? I mean come on... How am i supposed to know, when i don't know the details of the job i.e. the design or functionality requirements... Dear lord.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS