cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need some advice dealing with this client

Florencia F Member Since: Jul 13, 2013
1 of 10
I have written some articles in Spanish for a client whom I have worked with (doing the same job) in two previous occasions. Truth is paymeent was pretty low but I was kind of in a dry-patch so I took it. This job was done in december 2013 and we had agreed on $50. The thing is he never ended the contract, and I didn't bothered reminding him because I wasn't in a hurry. Yesterday (02/27/2014) I wrote him to remind him of the payment and he said he was sorry and said he would pay. Just minutes ago I got a message from him saying that one of the articles doesn't quite fit the title he provided. I really don't know what to do. I did the job on time and in my opnion everything is correct, and even if I could modify the article to better suit his wishes, it doesn't seem fair he can say this to me 4 months later when he hasn't even paid! What do you think? What should I tell him? I would really appreciate some piece of advice here. Thank you!
Peter Lance C Member Since: Nov 15, 2011
2 of 10
Tell him you would be glad to help him sort it out but to pay you the 50 first... after he has paid... Negotiate for the addtl work he needs. he employed you, you did your part, he should pay.
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
3 of 10
Tell him his pending payment does not fit either. Maybe he just wants free work so he is finding excuses now.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
4 of 10
Tell him you'd appreciate the payment for the work first, and then you can discuss what he would like to see different in that one specific piece he has mentioned. You've waited four months for payment, he shouldn't mind waiting a few days to resolve such a small issue on an article. I'd be careful, but stand your ground. It is amazing to me some clients go so long and don't pay a single cent. Tsk.tsk.tsk. it's shameful!
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
5 of 10
Collect the money first if you can. If it were me, I'd throw in the article corrections for free AFTER the money lands. An online client-contractor relationship is all about trust. You've done your bit; now it's the client's turn.
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
6 of 10
[quote=-darren- J.]I'd throw in the article corrections for free AFTER the money lands.[/quote] Especially considering that the corrections seem to be an error on your part as the writer.
7 of 10
How did you reach that conclusion? I can't see it. Could be contractor error or a communications misfire; but as far as I can read it could equally well be scope creep or the client stalling for time.
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
8 of 10
[quote=-darren- J.]it could equally well be scope creep or the client stalling for time.[/quote] It absolutely could be scope creep or stalling. The timing of it likely is, but at face value, this [quote=Florencia Falco]the articles doesn't quite fit the title he provided.[/quote] is contractor error for not clarifying things ahead of time. I am not saying the contractor is at fault for the issues here, just that she should probably make the corrections for free based only on what this says. Of course, if the client just provided a title and seemed to not care about the content, that would different, but we don't hear that in what she has said.
9 of 10
Ah thanks. Was just wondering how you got there because I wasn't seeing it. Of course, I'm not a writerer so am looking from a different POV.
Brian K M Member Since: Dec 28, 2013
10 of 10
Such a small amount, insist on up front payment
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS