Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need some advice.

nosvan
Community Leader
Jose Daniel M Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
1 of 14

Well, I was invited for a work related to translation (good for me); however, this person sent me this questionnairefor me to fill it with my information. The thing is, as I don't mind writing a (piece of) my address, I am concerned that it asked me for my PayPal account, which of course I won't provide. Aside that, the questionnaire simply requests for me to provide information such as: rates per specific tasks, languages I am proficient at -I lied, because I said I am actually good at English-, and even my professional mail, which is important to remark that it is not linked to any of my payment processors.

I haven't sent it back, but I'd be glad if Vlad or Valeria are available to help me a bit about this. Now that I am having a good look at the job posting, it actually shows some suspicious numbers despite the client being well rated.

I think I will refrain from going on  further on this job untl I hear an official response.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 14

Hi Jose Daniel,

We'll have the team review the client and work with them to clarify Upwork policies regarding payment. It's possible the client is using a standard questionnaire that's okay outside of Upwork but isn't appropriate on Upwork. If you are interested in the job, you can continue communicating with the client but avoid providing private information and do not agree to receive payments outside of Upwork.

I'll provide an update as soon as possible.

~ Valeria
Upwork
purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
3 of 14

Jose Daniel M. stated:

Well, I was invited for a work related to translation (good for me); however, this person sent me this questionnairefor me to fill it with my information. The thing is, as I don't mind writing a (piece of) my address, I am concerned that it asked me for my PayPal account, which of course I won't provide. Aside that, the questionnaire simply requests for me to provide information such as: rates per specific tasks, languages I am proficient at -I lied, because I said I am actually good at English-, and even my professional mail, which is important to remark that it is not linked to any of my payment processors.

I haven't sent it back, but I'd be glad if Vlad or Valeria are available to help me a bit about this. Now that I am having a good look at the job posting, it actually shows some suspicious numbers despite the client being well rated.

I think I will refrain from going on  further on this job untl I hear an official response.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Jose, you lied?  That's never good.

nosvan
Community Leader
4 of 14

Well, you can say I did lie. The thing is; what did I exactly lie about?

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 14

José, it looks as if you were targeted by the translation scammer. I'll try and find the thread.

ETA: Whatever you do don't open any files.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
6 of 14

José, run away from it.  Do not ever ever ever give that sort of info to anyone.  The fact that U. has it for payment purposes is all that is needed.  Ever.

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
7 of 14

Jose Daniel M. wrote:

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Pat M. wrote:

Jose, you lied?  That's never good.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Jose Daniel M wrote:

Well, you can say I did lie. The thing is; what did I exactly lie about?

Please note red text in your OP.

nosvan
Community Leader
8 of 14

Yeah I honestly considered that possibility. I passed the docx through virustotal to make sure there was nothing nasty attached to the file itself; perhaps there is something but this person is too smart and manage to bypass Upwork security somehow (I hope that is not the case though). 

And to avoid this sub topic going any further, I lied about lying. 

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
9 of 14

@Jose Daniel M wrote:

I lied about lying. 

This is a lie 🙂

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 14

Hi Jose,

I sent you a private message with an update.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS