🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » I need some advice.
Page options
nosvan

I need some advice.

Well, I was invited for a work related to translation (good for me); however, this person sent me this questionnairefor me to fill it with my information. The thing is, as I don't mind writing a (piece of) my address, I am concerned that it asked me for my PayPal account, which of course I won't provide. Aside that, the questionnaire simply requests for me to provide information such as: rates per specific tasks, languages I am proficient at -I lied, because I said I am actually good at English-, and even my professional mail, which is important to remark that it is not linked to any of my payment processors.

I haven't sent it back, but I'd be glad if Vlad or Valeria are available to help me a bit about this. Now that I am having a good look at the job posting, it actually shows some suspicious numbers despite the client being well rated.

I think I will refrain from going on  further on this job untl I hear an official response.

13 REPLIES 13
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jose Daniel,

We'll have the team review the client and work with them to clarify Upwork policies regarding payment. It's possible the client is using a standard questionnaire that's okay outside of Upwork but isn't appropriate on Upwork. If you are interested in the job, you can continue communicating with the client but avoid providing private information and do not agree to receive payments outside of Upwork.

I'll provide an update as soon as possible.

~ Valeria
Upwork
purplepony

Jose Daniel M. stated:

Well, I was invited for a work related to translation (good for me); however, this person sent me this questionnairefor me to fill it with my information. The thing is, as I don't mind writing a (piece of) my address, I am concerned that it asked me for my PayPal account, which of course I won't provide. Aside that, the questionnaire simply requests for me to provide information such as: rates per specific tasks, languages I am proficient at -I lied, because I said I am actually good at English-, and even my professional mail, which is important to remark that it is not linked to any of my payment processors.

I haven't sent it back, but I'd be glad if Vlad or Valeria are available to help me a bit about this. Now that I am having a good look at the job posting, it actually shows some suspicious numbers despite the client being well rated.

I think I will refrain from going on  further on this job untl I hear an official response.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Jose, you lied?  That's never good.

Well, you can say I did lie. The thing is; what did I exactly lie about?

José, it looks as if you were targeted by the translation scammer. I'll try and find the thread.

ETA: Whatever you do don't open any files.

José, run away from it.  Do not ever ever ever give that sort of info to anyone.  The fact that U. has it for payment purposes is all that is needed.  Ever.

Jose Daniel M. wrote:

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Pat M. wrote:

Jose, you lied?  That's never good.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Jose Daniel M wrote:

Well, you can say I did lie. The thing is; what did I exactly lie about?

Please note red text in your OP.

nosvan

Yeah I honestly considered that possibility. I passed the docx through virustotal to make sure there was nothing nasty attached to the file itself; perhaps there is something but this person is too smart and manage to bypass Upwork security somehow (I hope that is not the case though). 

And to avoid this sub topic going any further, I lied about lying. 

@Jose Daniel M wrote:

I lied about lying. 

This is a lie 🙂

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Hi Jose,

I sent you a private message with an update.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
kawsarsid

Hi Daniel,

You can continue with the client. Just for your own safety, do not provide the information you feel unsafe for you. You may win more jobs in future without providing that information.

Good luck.

Best,

Kawsar

Kawsar Siddik
Dedicated Upwork Freelancer

José,

What you said about your English in your questionnaire is absolutely beside the the point. ButI would certainly wait to hear from CS before continuing.

What I find odd is the PayPal question.  Nobody needs to know what someone's PayPal account is, as payment is done via email. If I wanted to send you money, all I would have to do is to send if from my PayPal account via the email you use on PayPal. I wouldn't have to know the details of your account

In itself, a questionnaire is not suspicious, but It would certainly make me wonder if the client wouldn't try to get me to work off site.

I recently bid on a translating job, and the client came back to me and told me in fact they didn't have an opening, but asked me to fill in a questionnaire. It was a language agency, and a respected one (I think). I didn't have the time that day to fill it in and she cancelled the offer and presumably was no longer interested in my completing the questionnaire. This client has a good Upwork record, but I wonder (and it is sheer speculation) if for one freelancer paid on site, she doesn't scoop another few into her own network. 

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

I am sure that this job offer is from one of the famous translation farmers: Either they pay very, very bad, ask for free work, pay a few freelancers on Upwork and most of them offside, hire completely offside and spam the platform nearly every day with their job offers with now hires or are completely scammers who never will pay or only will empty your bank account. Asking for paypal data is a serious alarm signal.

Echoing Nichola ... "What you said about your English in your questionnaire is absolutely beside the the point."