🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I need some advise, my client is not reaching...
Page options
5f06a5b6
Community Member

I need some advise, my client is not reaching me back for payment confirmation.

Contract ID: 34756503
Start date: Sep 6, 2023

Hello, it has been 3 months and I still haven't gotten payment. Last few months all they have told me is they will reach out to me after checking my work but it has been 3 months since. I do not understand what my next procedure should be. 
Any idea?

Thank you
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FB3E638F-A768-4A6C-B3E7-E586A71E54CC.png

 

Please do not ever work with a client again that splits the payment into two. It should honestly be forbidden on Upwork. You can only be guaranteed the amount that the client has put into escrow. So, looking forward, if the client tries to do that, write them a nice message saying that you appreciate that they want to work with you, but that you, for your own protection, would prefer if they could put the cost of the entire project into escrow before you start working on it. 

I have also attached a picture of an example of a contract. You can see the little green dot ("Funded (Escrow Protection)") has $160 in front of it. That means that this money is under protection. If you don't see the correct amount there for the milestone, let the client know before starting working for them. 

Im sorry this happened to you! 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
manillabuch
Community Member

Have you considered officially clicking on the "submit work" button? That way, your payment will automatically get released after two weeks.

If I click 'Submit Work for Payment' nothing happens but a page to submit work. Are you saying there is other button that says 'submit work'? Or does it not work for me because its milestone?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Dong,

I am sorry to hear that the page is not responding after clicking the 'Submit Work for Payment'. Could you please try again after clearing Cookies and Cache on your browser? You can also try using a different browser. Feel free to message us if problems persist.

- Pradeep

Upwork
yofazza
Community Member

I think you were asking about clicking the 'Submit Work for Payment' button that will result in that deleted screenshot of yours appearing.

If I'm right, there's nothing wrong with your cookies. You need to click the "Submit Work" for Milestone 1 in that screenshotted page.

The client will then have 14 days to state their objection, before the money released to you automatically.

There's only $10 in escrow, so that's the amount you'll get, unless, the client was really telling the truth about waiting for the supervisor,  where they can pay you the $70 in bonus later.

Next time:

• "Checking work" is not a milestone. Clients can check the work after you submit the work, they have 14 days to do that, and they may request revisions which will stop the 14 days timer. So...

• If the work is simple, tell the client to fully fund the project, before doing any work.

• Click THE button immediately after you think the task in the milestone is complete. It's what the button for, it's one advantage of doing things in Upwork; to tell the client to act without having to actually say anything.

5f06a5b6
Community Member

I am overwhelmed by the system here,  and I feel like I am running in the loop:
The client has put $10 for Escrow out of a total of $80. 
Under MILESTONE TIMELINE, I submitted my work via 'Submit Work' 3 months ago.
and the promised $70 is under 'Passed final inspection.' The number icon is greyed out even though the date says 'Due Sep 6' 

I don't get it. Did I work for only $10? What was I supposed to do? 

Am I supposed to click 'End contract' ? Is that how I finalize and get the resting fee? It says I received $0 and $10 funded while 'Project Price' is $80. If I click 'Submit Work' it just sends new file. If I click 'Resubmit Payemnt Request' It takes me to 'Submit work for payment' Should I click 'Request milestone changes'? 

I just have never seen a client not paying like this.

yofazza
Community Member

Am I supposed to click 'End contract' ?

No, if you do that, the $10 will be refunded as well.

If you submitted the work 3 months ago. it's either you didn't complete the submission, or the client clicked 'request revision' on their side.

the promised $70

Yes, it's just a promised $70.

Budget, project price, and due dates are irrelevant. What matters is only the funded milestone, where you only have $10.

Check the "next time" part in my previous post, you should be okay. See the linked post, no file submission is needed during Submit Work.

I'll add:

• In that job, I think only a single milestone (or just "project") needed. Milestones are markers in a long project, where payments can be arranged between them.

• Maybe, at a big recording job you may do:

- Milestone 1 - When a recording draft is complete

- Milestone 2 - When the draft/recording is perfected, cleaned, minor details adjusted, etc.

Where on each milestone the client can request revisions, and they need to release the fund before going to the next.

In any case, you don't want a milestone called "Client checking the draft to the supervisor".

If you still feel overwhelmed, just post questions here when you're unsure about anything later.

FB3E638F-A768-4A6C-B3E7-E586A71E54CC.png

 

Please do not ever work with a client again that splits the payment into two. It should honestly be forbidden on Upwork. You can only be guaranteed the amount that the client has put into escrow. So, looking forward, if the client tries to do that, write them a nice message saying that you appreciate that they want to work with you, but that you, for your own protection, would prefer if they could put the cost of the entire project into escrow before you start working on it. 

I have also attached a picture of an example of a contract. You can see the little green dot ("Funded (Escrow Protection)") has $160 in front of it. That means that this money is under protection. If you don't see the correct amount there for the milestone, let the client know before starting working for them. 

Im sorry this happened to you! 

Wow.... So it's a systemic loophole that Upwork is ignoring to fix? I see... That... is quite disappointing to see a platform, not protecting freelancers. 

Click the submit work button! If your client isn't responsive, that is it only way you can get the money out of escrow. That doesn't mean you are closing the contract. 

submit work doesn't mean that you need to submit anything in there if you have already carried out the agreed work for the client on Upwork. Just click it as you have already finished the job. 🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths