Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

I need your kind help and advice!

Community Leader
Mahmudur R Member Since: Jan 14, 2014
1 of 8

After working over 3 years, now I feel like I am invisible on upwork!

 

I apply to jobs and I think I have a good profile.  I neither receive invitations from out of the blue from clients searching for my skill set, nor do I receive any invitations to interview for jobs, and I'm wondering why. I feel like I am invisible! Someone suggest me to fix my name capitalizing!!! First 3 letters of my name are in All-Cap. I never feel any problem in last 3 years but as per their advice when I try to fix it I don't find the option to make. My name is AHM Mahmudur Rahman. I was suggested to remove 3 capital letters at the front! Can anyone please tell how to do it?

 

Kind regards!

 

Mahmud

Mahmud
Community Leader
Aaron H Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
2 of 8

Go to your profile and click the little pen thing next to your name to change the all caps.

 

Your overview makes you sound unprofessional with stuff like "win-r" and "kick ass". You also might want to hire a native English speaking editor to clean it up and add some depth.

 

Go back to English class and find a native speaking person to practice with. Maybe you can find an email pen-pal who wants to learn your language and you can help each other! You need to sound as fluent as possible in your proposals!!!

 

Speaking as a graphic designer myself you need to work on your portfolio. What you have there is not top-tier, and it's the reason you're not getting a lot of jobs and the jobs you are getting are low-paid. I suggest going back to fundamentals and practicing, a LOT. I like to do at least one piece a day to stay ahead of the game. Every time I produce something I really like, I add it to my portfolio.

 

If you haven't already done this, you might look into getting your own portfolio site with its own domain. You can't link to it in the profile, but you can in your cover letters, and it will make you a lot more viable as a candidate.

 

I hope that helps, and good luck in all that you do!

Community Guru
Barbara W Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
3 of 8

@Aaron H wrote:

If you haven't already done this, you might look into getting your own portfolio site with its own domain. You can't link to it in the profile, but you can in your cover letters, and it will make you a lot more viable as a candidate.


 Why can't you? A fair chunk of my portfolio is made from links to pieces I did for clients, hosted on their servers. Keeps me from having to password protect/watermark them, and gives them a slight traffic boost. Probably not their intended niche to explore (unless they happen to be my dream jobs of LGBT+ content - or my back-up choice of product reviews). But you most definitely can put links in your portfolio, and it seems to work out great for me.

- Barbara Herrera -
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
4 of 8

@Barbara W wrote:

@Aaron H wrote:

If you haven't already done this, you might look into getting your own portfolio site with its own domain. You can't link to it in the profile, but you can in your cover letters, and it will make you a lot more viable as a candidate.


 Why can't you? A fair chunk of my portfolio is made from links to pieces I did for clients, hosted on their servers. Keeps me from having to password protect/watermark them, and gives them a slight traffic boost. Probably not their intended niche to explore (unless they happen to be my dream jobs of LGBT+ content - or my back-up choice of product reviews). But you most definitely can put links in your portfolio, and it seems to work out great for me.


 

What Aaron meant is that we are not allowd to link to our OWN personal, portfolio site. Because, OMG, it might have a Contact US or Contact ME link/page on it.

 

And that might influence prospective clients to offer work outside and off of Upwork, which is so undesired by Upwork they actually have a term for this, and more then one refrence to it in the Terms of Service.

 

Having said this, it is quite true that you can link to your personal site in your cover letters.

 

 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 8

@Aaron H wrote:

 

 

Your overview makes you sound unprofessional with stuff like "win-r" and "kick ass". You also might want to hire a native English speaking editor to clean it up and add some depth.


 I remember quite clearly that he was told exactly the same thing weeks or months ago after posting something similar. It appears he is attached to that way of wording his overview (which I completely agree is quite dreadful) or he might have considered changing it the last time he was wondering why he's not getting approached for interviews or hired as much as he believes he should be....

 

 

 

 

Community Leader
Mahmudur R Member Since: Jan 14, 2014
6 of 8

Hi Petra R,

 

Yes you are right but I didn't like to make all of the changes due to following reasons,

 

  1. Upwork success manager emailed me twice details and asked me not to make any change further because I was heading to be featured on category pages. As long as the success manager ensured me twice I was thinking to wait and see if I get the condition changed or not
  2. With the same overview, same settings I was doing great. So I couldn’t understand what was wrong with me suddenly for what I need to change even my overview!
  3. We the designers are a bit different than the most of the professions. People sometime call us crazy, sometime humorist or even a mad because we don’t care the usual way of thinking. We like to play with words/quotes. And trust me, the best time ever I spent on upwork with the title “Kick-Ass Concept and Ideas”

Sorry I am not at home in English but I hope, you will understand what I am talking about. Thanks!

Mahmud
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 8

@Mahmudur R wrote:

Hi @petra_r,

 

  1. We the designers are a bit different than the most of the professions. People sometime call us crazy, sometime humorist or even a mad because we don’t care the usual way of thinking. We like to play with words/quotes.

 Your overview should appeal to your prospective clients, not to other designers. It should also be mindful of cultural differences and not alienate a sector of your prospective client-base....

 

Frankly your old overview was badly written and your "crazy humor" just came across as someone trying (and failing) to be hip and funny.

 

The newly changed one is much, MUCH better!

Top Rated Manager
Diana C Top Rated Manager Member Since: Apr 24, 2015
8 of 8

Hi Mahmudur,


To clarify, the Freelancer Success team provides personalized recommendations to help you optimize your profile. If you do so, you are eligible to be featured based on your high quality profile. We're currently working on all places to promote users who fit the criteria in landing pages, email marketing, adding to talent pools, and etc. We'll contact you if you are featured. 

 

Regarding your invites, I'll look into your account and see how I can help.


Thanks!

 

~Diana

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS