🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I really don't like to use my location on my ...
Page options
0c40e48b
Community Member

I really don't like to use my location on my profiles

I really don't like to use my location on my profiles since this is online freelance it really doesn't matter anyway.
I live in Leavenworth Kansas, there is already a negative connotation for that. I have never been to jail or prison.
If you can make an exception and remove it or change it to Overland Park or something like that would be fine. Otherwise, I will just have to assume that's the reason I never get any work on here, and I just trying to survive.

6 REPLIES 6
lysis10
Community Member

Johnny T wrote:

I really don't like to use my location on my profiles since this is online freelance it really doesn't matter anyway.
I live in Leavenworth Kansas, there is already a negative connotation for that. I have never been to jail or prison.
If you can make an exception and remove it or change it to Overland Park or something like that would be fine. Otherwise, I will just have to assume that's the reason I never get any work on here, and I just trying to survive.

wat? You need to put your true address. Is there a stereotype that everyone in Kansas has been to jail? I've never heard that one. I lived in Florida and we're all dumb if you hadn't heard and I had no issues getting jobs. 🤷‍:female_sign:🤷‍:female_sign:

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Johnny,

Please note that all the information in your profile including your location needs to be accurate, truthful and verifiable. Misrepresenting location is a violation of Upwork ToS that may result in an account hold.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
mtngigi
Community Member

Johnny T wrote:

None of us like having maps/locations on our profiles; Upwork is not going to make an exception for one person, or they'd have to do it for everyone. Your location has nothing to do with gettng a job. Fleshing out your profile might improve your chances. No one is going to use the skill title you chose for their search parameters.

petra_r
Community Member

Johnny T wrote:

Otherwise, I will just have to assume that's the reason I never get any work on here,

That would be a wrong assumption. A really poor profile would be much more likely to be the reason.

resultsassoc
Community Member

Your concern is the Federal Prison and the Military Disciplinary Barracks in Leavenworth. The typical UW client will not be aware of either. A few will be aware of one or both and not care, because those smart enough to be aware are smart enough to realize that there is an actual city there, as well. Anyone insufficiently smart to believe you're writing from jail is probably not a client you want (I certaily wouldn't).

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Johnny T wrote:

Actually, you have a considerable advantage being located in America (ANYWHERE in America) because you have access to "U.S. only" jobs, unlike the rest of us. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths