🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I recently updated my name IRL and Upwork's a...
Page options
kaceybridges
Community Member

I recently updated my name IRL and Upwork's asking me to re-verify.

Hey y'all! So I've been active on Upwork since September 2015.

I recently changed my name back to my birth name, and I got a message from Upwork asking me to re-verify.
Problem is, my "new" name is the same as my original username I made my profile with, but it isn't the same as my Upwork name in any shape or form as I'm currently in the process of re-taking/updating my name on all my government IDs as well (which can be quite time-consuming ngl). I DO, however, have all government documents that mention the name change/update process though.

Do y'all think I'll get booted off the platform even though I submitted my Govt. Id Card and everything they asked?

Found it kinda weird that when you try to update your name on here, I think it says, "Your profile name should not be edited after you’ve created your account." I'm thinking it's because of the folks who wind up selling their accounts, but it's still an issue that I can't help but keep worrying about.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
ArjayM

Hi Swaraj,

We understand you may have verified your identity in the past. We ask freelancers to re-verify because periodic checks ensure that their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as we can and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

Since you've received a notification from the team, feel free to coordinate if you have questions or need further assistance to complete the process. They will surely assist you accordingly. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hello Arjay. I really appreciate the reply but I think you missed what my issue was.

My issue isn't with the ID verification - I understand why Upwork does that - my issue lies in the fact that I recently changed my name on my National Government ID, hence I had to change my name on Upwork as well.
The issue arising from tdoing so is that although Upwork approved my name change on my profile, it isn't accepting my updated Aadhar ID Card with my updated name on it to verify my Identity, even though it's a legit Government Approved document.

Hi Kacey Victor,

I certainly understand your concern and how you want this issue resolved immediately. In general, we ask you to upload a government-issued ID to confirm your identity. In other cases, we may need more information from you, or ask you to briefly video chat with an Upwork agent. This is also when we need to further review your submitted documents and account information.

Rest assured that your case has been forwarded to the appropriate team for review and you should be getting an update on the status momentarily. In the meantime, you may want to check this help article for more details.

A gentle reminder, please avoid creating several tickets or posts for the same concern so that the team could assist you more efficiently. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork

I recently raised a query with Customer Support in which I mentioned in detail that my government IDs are currently undergoing a name update.

However, shortly after updating my name on here as per my Government Name, Upwork asked me to re-verify myself with a Government Issued ID and I obliged by uploading the latest copy of my Government Approved National ID card that shows my updated name.

However, it was rejected by Upwork and the only reason I got was, "We have reviewed your submission for ID verification. Unfortunately, we will need you to submit an alternate ID as we couldn't verify the previous submission's authenticity."

But not having an alternate Government ID at the moment that shows my updated name really puts me in a worrisome place because there's that constant reminder on my profile that says, "Action required: Verify your identity by 04/01/2023 UTC to continue winning jobs on Upwork." and I'm scared that if they don't accept my Government ID this time around, then I won't be able to work OR get paid on here and that all the hours I've put in since last week were all for nothing.

Any attempts to reach out so far have been in vain.
I really REALLY hope someone can help me out with this.

I will advise you to maintain your name.  Upwork values our information and has put in place perfect security measures. It could be a different person trying to log in to your account.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members