🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: I sent material to a client and they bloc...
Page options
tgilby17
Community Member

I sent material to a client and they blocked me

Hi there, I'm new to Upwork so I'm still figuring out the process.  I received a request to interview to which I responded.  They asked to submit a sample which I did.  I wrote a title page with copyright date on it but they never got back to me and when I tried to "create a room" to get back in touch with them in says that the user has blocked me.  How do I get in touch with her?  Call her out?!  I don't care if she doesn't want to hire me but I don't want her using any part of my work!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jr-translation
Community Member

Tyler G wrote:

Hi there, I'm new to Upwork so I'm still figuring out the process.  I received a request to interview to which I responded.  They asked to submit a sample which I did.  I wrote a title page with copyright date on it but they never got back to me and when I tried to "create a room" to get back in touch with them in says that the user has blocked me.  How do I get in touch with her?  Call her out?!  I don't care if she doesn't want to hire me but I don't want her using any part of my work!

Keep proof that you have created and delivered the work. Keep an eye out for it and when you see it online file an DMCA. You own he copyright.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I sent material to a client and they blocked me"

Clients have a right to block any user, at any time.

Freelancers have a right to block any user, at any time.

There is nothing wrong with that.

re: "I received a request to interview to which I responded. They asked to submit a sample which I did. I wrote a title page with copyright date on it but they never got back to me and when I tried to 'create a room' to get back in touch with them in says that the user has blocked me. How do I get in touch with her?"

What do you mean how do you get in touch with her?

She does not want you to get in touch with her.

If you were able to figure out a way to get in touch with her, such as by calling her on the phone or sending a message to her Facebook account, you would be violating a serious Upwork ToS rule, and you could be suspended.

re: "I don't care if she doesn't want to hire me but I don't want her using any part of my work!"

Then why did you create a sample and send it to her?

Technically speaking, she didn't pay you for that sample, and she doesn't have the right to use it. But you have no right to contact her.

Next time, don't work for free.

Thank you for your input.  I'm new to upwork so I'm just trying to figure things out.  When trying to acquire clients, get reviews, get paid, it's difficult to navigate starting out.  I understand that clients or freelancers can block people.  I was no trying to ciurcumnavigate upwork at all; I'm not sure how you gleaned that from my post.  She got what I submitted and then blocked me right away so yes there is "something wrong with that."  So if you're saying I just need to be more careful and not "work for free" I get it, but am I really the problem?  Or is it people like this?  Either way, appreciate your advice.  I actually have some for you too: work on your bedside manner!  

Preston isn't a doctor and as far as I know, doesn't claim to be. Yes, you are right, bad clients are a problem. But bad clients can only become bad clients when they are enabled. It's the freelancer's responsibility to protect himself, which is actually really easy (barely an inconvenience) when adhering to the ToS. It would be great if everybody did that. 99,9% of scams would disappear, clients would learn to pay for a service, it would improve the platform for everyone.  

Well "bedside manner" can be taken literally or as a figure of speech; I meant the latter.  Anyway, thanks for the input.  I was just excited to book some work and I got scammed.  Bummer but lesson learned.  

Thanks, 

-Tyler

jr-translation
Community Member

Tyler G wrote:

Keep proof that you have created and delivered the work. Keep an eye out for it and when you see it online file an DMCA. You own he copyright.

Great advice, thank you!

Best, 

-Tyler

tlbp
Community Member

Tyler G wrote:

You've already received lots of advice on what not to do. 

Here's one more rule to follow: 

If the stranger on the internet hasn't sent you an offer via Upwork which you have accepted, they aren't a client. Don't think of them as such. They are a lead or prospect--that's all. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths