🐈 Community

I submitted some proposals. Now can I refuse to someone accepting me?

Hello everybody, 

I am new here and I am trying to understand how it works. So I am sending proposals for the jobs that seem interesting (in translation), but many jobs descriptions are not clear as for the deadlines, the field, the precise task, etc. Also, I am sending proposals for more jobs than I could possibly do, assuming that most of the clients will just ignore me. 

So the question is: if they accept my proposal, can I then withdraw without penalties, if the details of the job or the deadlines don't convince me?  Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
colettelewis

undefined:

Hello everybody, 

I am new here and I am trying to understand how it works. So I am sending proposals for the jobs that seem interesting (in translation), but many jobs descriptions are not clear as for the deadlines, the field, the precise task, etc. Also, I am sending proposals for more jobs than I could possibly do, assuming that most of the clients will just ignore me. 

So the question is: if they accept my proposal, can I then withdraw without penalties, if the details of the job or the deadlines don't convince me?  Thanks.

Sofia, when a client responds to one of your proposals, you will be invited to interview. You can decide at the interview stage if you want to continue with the job or not. You will not be penalized if you decide not to go ahead with the job. Upwork always asks if you want to accept a contract.

If you accept a contract and then decide not to continue, the client will able to leave feedback, which could impact your eventual JSS negatively.

Before you bid on jobs, you should read everything there is to know about the platform, and also about how the tracked hourly system and fixed-rate system works. You could start here. It'll take a while, but it is really worth it! https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
estrategic

Hi Sofia.   The truth about job specs on the whole,. is that they are largely non-specific.  This is partly because people don't know themselves what they want and they bumble along in the hope that someone else will.

The key to successful freelancing, as far as I can see, is to try establish what credibility the client has : look at reviews, amounts paid and frequency of jobs.  Try not to apply for contracts that might not be a good fit, because once you accept a job, you also accept the feedback that comes with it.

colettelewis

undefined:

Hello everybody, 

Sofia, when a client responds to one of your proposals, you will be invited to interview. You can decide at the interview stage if you want to continue with the job or not. You will not be penalized if you decide not to go ahead with the job. Upwork always asks if you want to accept a contract.

If you accept a contract and then decide not to continue, the client will able to leave feedback, which could impact your eventual JSS negatively.

Before you bid on jobs, you should read everything there is to know about the platform, and also about how the tracked hourly system and fixed-rate system works. You could start here. It'll take a while, but it is really worth it! https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

Thanks a lot!

kat303

Safia - If a client accepts  your offer, the next phase should be the interview stage. That's where all communication takes place. During that stage, you should find out EVERYTHING about the job. Things that should be discussed and/or agreed on are : All information and details about the job, copies of the actual material you'll be working with. questions and answers given. terms, price, deadlines etc. Everything a freelancer needs to know so that when the client offers them a contract the freelancer has all they need to know so they can start working.

Sometimes, a client will skip the interview stage and present you with an offer (a contract) without any prior discussions. IMO it would be foolish for a freelancer to accept an offer (contract) without any prior information or discussions stated above.

During the interview stage (active candidacy) you can decline any offers and withdraw your proposal without any affect on your JSS. However once you accept an offer, if you then decide to pull out of a job, it can have an effect on your JSS. 

Learning Paths