🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I successfully completed an Upwork job and go...
Page options
fbsolo
Community Member

I successfully completed an Upwork job and got paid, but the client never closed the job

I completed my first Upwork job awhile back. The customer liked my work, I got paid. However, it looks like the client never closed out the job and never gave me feedback. I did not really notice this at the time, because I kinda drifted away from Upwork. Now, I'm getting more active about Upwork, and I tried to contact the client but no reply. This completed job would help my profile, but it's in hyperspace. I'd like some advice.

Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Frank,

We recommend the freelancer to let the client close the contract because in this case the client will be prompted to provide feedback for sure. If the client doesn't reply to the requests to close the contract, the freelancer can close it. 

While active contracts without recent payments or contracts with No Feedback aren't always included in the score, they do become counted in your score when they start representing a significant portion of your overall Work History. So you may want to build your communication and relationships with clients in a way that you don't need to close the contracts yourself all the time.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Frank,

We recommend the freelancer to let the client close the contract because in this case the client will be prompted to provide feedback for sure. If the client doesn't reply to the requests to close the contract, the freelancer can close it. 

While active contracts without recent payments or contracts with No Feedback aren't always included in the score, they do become counted in your score when they start representing a significant portion of your overall Work History. So you may want to build your communication and relationships with clients in a way that you don't need to close the contracts yourself all the time.

~ Bojan
Upwork
dsmgdesign
Community Member

I recommend a 5-touch 2, 4, 7, 15 and 30 approach: 

In other words, follow up in 2 days. If no word 4 days aftter that, follow up again. If no word in 7 days, follow up. If nothing in 15 days after your last follow up, send another. Send one last follow up 30 days after that (and let the client know you are following up one last time). Also, try to be a little creative in each one. Share a blog that you wrote, mention a recent experience that reminded you of your project together, or a project you completed.  Then say, "by the way, I'd be happy to help with any projects you may have. If there's nothing I can do for you at the moment, do you mind closing our contract? We can always open a new one when something new surfaces" 

As long as you got paid, one contract closed without feedback won't do any harm. 

Thanks for this. Bojan's answer came through a little before yours, so I went with it. All answers help(ed) me and I will weave them into my Upwork business.

Thanks again!

- Frank

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members