🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I suspect my client is indirectly blackmailin...
Page options
nisadrehman
Community Member

I suspect my client is indirectly blackmailing me

My client said everything is working fine. Now when I ended the contract he is saying weird things like something isn't working or stuffs. He claims something isn't working but when I check it works perfectly for me. He is indirectly blackmailing me and trying to have me stuck with his project. In this condition what should I do? I am afraid about my reputation and seeking for a suggestion from the experts. Should I keep doing his works even though the contract is ended?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Preston wrote:

The client can't do anything to your reputation. The contract has already been closed. He has no leverage.

What are you talking about? 

The client can still leave feedback.

The freelancer closed the contract, clearly before the client thought the work was completed...

This client does not actually want your help.

This client does not actually want you to respond to you.

Oh, the client absolutely does. Clearly and obviously. 

Foyez, ask the client directly what isn't working for them. Identify the issue, check if it is something you did or something the client doesn't understand.

Then clarify with the client what falls under "fixing a mistake" and what is "additional work!"

Whatever is additional work, you charge for.

Next time - check a client's history carefully before accepting a contract from them. I'd not have accepted a contract from that client under any circumstances.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

The contract is over. Why would you work for the client without a contract in place? That makes no sense.

The client can't do anything to your reputation. The contract has already been closed. He has no leverage.

If the client TRULY wanted your help, then any time he contracted you, he would start out by asking if he can hire you to do more work on the project.

Preston wrote:

What are you talking about? 

The client can still leave feedback.

The freelancer closed the contract, clearly before the client thought the work was completed...

Oh, the client absolutely does. Clearly and obviously. 

Foyez, ask the client directly what isn't working for them. Identify the issue, check if it is something you did or something the client doesn't understand.

Then clarify with the client what falls under "fixing a mistake" and what is "additional work!"

Whatever is additional work, you charge for.

Next time - check a client's history carefully before accepting a contract from them. I'd not have accepted a contract from that client under any circumstances.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will be more careful from now on. Also, I will try to identify what are the problems he is facing and if there is any I will fix them for sure. I actually tried to identify but I see no problem.

Petra is correct in pointing out that the client can still leave feedback that affects the feeelancer's reputation.

The freelancer stated that HE closed the contract. I failed to read that when I responded.

If the freelancer closed the contract -  not the client - then the client has 14 days within which he can leave feedback.

If the client has not left feedback yet, then he still has leverage.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members