🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I think I am trying to be scammed...
Page options
dbaaada8
Community Member

I think I am trying to be scammed...

Hi community!

I was looking at some posts and I wanted to hear from the uverse out there, if it was indeed a scam like my gut told me so. 

The response to my proposal was to add an individual on Skype, who then had me message interview, and he hired me yesterday. I went through the process of signing an acceptance letter, and then he was going to send me a check to buy equipment. I finally kind of realized what was going on after a little bit, and still feel uneasy about it. 

I got the same responses like some of you have posted: we're taking down the job posting for the term of your contract; the check to buy equipment thing got me; the skype interview...

Anyway, please let me know so I can block this guy and figure out reporting, etc. 

1 REPLY 1
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Matthew,

Please know that it is a violation of the Terms of Service to communicate outside of Upwork before a contract is in place. It is also Circumvention to offer/accept payment outside of Upwork.

We find that when users communicate outside of Upwork there is an increased risk of fraud, scam, and other harmful behaviors. When communications (and work) stay on our platform we can better track, verify, and help address any issues that emerge, and as a result the potential for these behaviors to cause harm decreases dramatically. For example, the vast majority of scammers that successfully take advantage of talent do so by going off the platform. To learn more about staying safe on Upwork, click here.

You can find how to report violations here and how to block a user from your messages here.

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members