🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I think my profile have been blacklisted. Am ...
Page options
romzyj
Community Member

I think my profile have been blacklisted. Am not getting interviews despite great proposals

Please help me out. For more than 3 months now I have failed to land a single job on upwork. Not even an interview and I have applied to jobs I feel I can handle well

I feel my profile have been blacklisted and is making my proposal not to appear even when I apply to jobs posted in less than 5mins.

My proposals are excellent. So I don't know where this issue is coming from. I feel this may be as a result of a bad private review.

I need help with this please. 

Here's a link to my profile. Is there anything I have been missing out? https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~010aa0dc95fbb7bb53

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tlbp
Community Member

Your JSS is 67% and you are competing against others who have the same skills but better reviews and JSS. That is probably why you are not getting hired. There are thousands of freelancers competing for jobs on Upwork and many of them never get hired. You could have the perfect proposal and still lose the job to someone else who also had a perfect proposal. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
tlbp
Community Member

Your JSS is 67% and you are competing against others who have the same skills but better reviews and JSS. That is probably why you are not getting hired. There are thousands of freelancers competing for jobs on Upwork and many of them never get hired. You could have the perfect proposal and still lose the job to someone else who also had a perfect proposal. 

a4d62d28
Community Member

Hi Tonya,

Please I am also experiencing relatively the same issue, I have only gotten one interview invite,ever since I registered on upwork.I have an outstanding profile, but not certain if my proposals is where the issue is coming from.

I will appreciate 

Hi Ugorume,

I checked your account and would like to confirm that everything is working as designed. I would also suggest to check out our resources Here and learn more about improving your profile and your proposals. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

UGORUME O wrote:

I have an outstanding profile, but not certain if my proposals is where the issue is coming from.

In which way do you think your profile is "outstanding"?

How many proposals do you send in an average week?

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Emmnual A.,

It is my understanding that Upwork's system ranks all submitted proposals on each project based on the system's comparison of the submitting freelancers' profiles (and work history and JSS?) with what the client appears to be looking for. Even if you submit the first proposal on a new project your proposal can sink to the bottom of the list of proposals the client eventually sees.

It is best to apply only to projects where your skills and experience very closely match the client's stated goals and requirements. If you are not well-matched with a project your proposal will fall far down the ranked list of 20, 30, 40 or more proposals on a particular project. If this happens, it is likely the client will never even read your proposal.

And if your JSS is also very low you may never get much of a response on any of your proposals because prospective clients never see them. In that case, the JSS is serving its purpose.

If there is any "black list" it would include freelancers who are not even allowed to submit proposals. If you are submitting proposals, you're not on that list.

Emmanuel is no longer on Upwork

So, Will,... basically you're saying that UPWORK is only willing to support those with a high JSS,… kind of sounds that way?

UPWORK is inviting people to come on board but it appear that UPWORK is having difficulty promoting new members, how are new members supposed to rank up,... it would seem to me that it'd be in UPWORKS best interest to help new freelancers by encouraging prospective clients to take a look instead of saying things like, "And if your JSS is also very low you may never get much of a response on any of your proposals because prospective clients never see them. In that case, the JSS is serving its purpose."

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, I know, I'm new, but my skill matched very closely if not exactly,.... my proposals may need work and I'm endeavoring to match them better,.... I'm not sure how much more exact you would like my proposals to be,…I have posted multiple proposals and each proposal is still active, but the client hasn't responded, and the job is still available,.... this has happened on every proposal I have made,.... This is a source of frustration and confusion and seems to be a reoccurring theme based on the questions above.

I've even done the work requested by the client and provided proof but zero response,... yet the job for all five is still active and still no response from the client and the job is still active.

elisa_b
Community Member

"UPWORK is inviting people to come on board but it appear that UPWORK is having difficulty promoting new members"

David, the simple truth is that Upwork couldn't care less about new and old members alike. The reason why people (in hordes) are invited to join the platform is simple: they will have to purchase connects in order to apply for jobs, filling up Upwork's pockets even if they never land a job. Therefore, the more people sign up and spend money, the better for the platform's bottom line.

Add to this the fact that the platform is full of scammers and low-quality clients, and you will see why I would not recommend anybody to sign up here. While I did instead until a couple of years ago, when Upwork was still a good freelancing platform.

Today, even for experienced and seasoned freelancers it is hard to find a decent job. 

If you sent 5 proposals and none of the clients hired anyone, then it seems you should conclude that you're not being discriminated against. Everyone is in the same boat.

David C wrote:

I've even done the work requested by the client and provided proof but zero response,... yet the job for all five is still active and still no response from the client and the job is still active.

If you already did the work for free, why should the client hire anyone? Stop doing that.

I didn't do the work for FREE,... I did the work and submitted a screen shot of the work as proof I could do the work,... there's a difference,... and how do I know the client didn't hire anyone when UPWORKS burries you under all the oldtimers,... I'm trying to find out why the jobs are still available,... several of them,... are these manufactured by UPWORK to give the apearance of available work or something else?

You did the job, for free.

You casn easily check if the client hired anyone. That pile of proposals is overwhelming, not because of "oldtimers" but because people apply to jobs they are not qualified for and throw connects instead of skills.

Who cares why the jobs are still available. Vetting clients and jobs is your job. Apply, and forget it. It's called freelancing.

it would seem to me that it'd be in UPWORKS best interest to help new freelancers by encouraging prospective clients to take a look

Why? Upwork doesn't care who does the job. Why should you be any different? Everyone starts at the same place. It's not Upwork's responsibility to get you a profile, jobs, etc.

I'm new, but my skill matched very closely if not exactly,.... my proposals may need work and I'm endeavoring to match them better,....

You have to match exactly. And you have to be better than all the others. If not, don't bother applying.

I'm not sure how much more exact you would like my proposals to be,

100% spot on for the job.

You did free work for a client? And how did that work out for you? Don't ever do it again. It won't get you a job.

Maybe read a bit more carefully.
I didn't do the work for FREE,... I did the work and submitted a screen shot of the work as proof I could do the work,... there's a difference,... and how do I know the client didn't hire anyone when UPWORKS burries you under all the oldtimers,... I'm trying to find out why the jobs are still available,... several of them,... are these manufactured by UPWORK to give the apearance of available work or something else?

lucas-michael
Community Member

It was never this hard for new people to get going on the system.  The new bidding system is killing Upwork for the new entries.  Even for someone like myself with long history and 95% JSS I have a very hard time getting replies on jobs that I don't bid high on.

a7c6f370
Community Member

I see this when I try opening your profile

Capture.PNG

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members