Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think the client is kinda arm twisting me

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
11 of 17

It is not Upwork's fault if a freelancer is so scared of a bad review or JSS drop that he won't close a bad contract. That isn't taking sides. If your JSS is so fragile that one closed contract will destroy it, you have bigger problems to worry about. 

Upwork's published information and several posts on the forum have made it clear that it is a PATTERN of closed with no feedback contracts that MAY affect your JSS. Anyone choosing not to run their business like a business over one contract is ignoring the facts. 

arnanzo
Ace Contributor
Tarek S Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
12 of 17

I believe you're right and making it very clear, Tonya, Thank you.

Thinking of it, all my previous jobs were successful and I have a 100% JSS and all my clients are recurring and satisfied, so one bad review from a 21 jobs won't do much effect.

and maybe I misunderstood Petra, it is just was very weird for me to feel like no matter what the client does, I have to accept it or embrace the bad review, it just didn't make sense

anyway, thanks everyone for your help, I have handled the situation wrongfully and I can do better if I faced such a situation again

barada00
Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
13 of 17

Tarek, at least wait till you get your top rated badge before doing anything further. It really affects your future prospects. And sincerely, in the future if you face something that frustrates you, just take a deep breath and post here before doing anything rash.

b.

arnanzo
Ace Contributor
14 of 17

Thank you, Baris. you're absolutely right.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 17

@Tarek S wrote:

1) Thinking of it, all my previous jobs were successful and I have a 100% JSS and all my clients are recurring and satisfied, so one bad review from a 21 jobs won't do much effect.

It won't be 1 out of 21, it will be two contracts out of whatever many are already ended at that point. So well over 10%- more like 15% at this stage.

2) and maybe I misunderstood Petra, it is just was very weird for me to feel like no matter what the client does, I have to accept it or embrace the bad review, it just didn't make sense.

You DID misunderstand me. I said it was an example of very poor client and contract management. You should never have accepted a second contract with only a $ 5 funded milestone, you should have managed client expectations appropriately from the very beginning and certainly should not simply have refunded. If you wanted the first contract closed you could have told the client you'll be happy to entertain the fixed contract once the hourly one is closed. If you were not happy with the $ 5 milestone you could have not accepted the second contract. Now you have created a situation where the client has you by the short and curlies with 2 open contracts, and you're flapping.

None of this need to have happened....

arnanzo
Ace Contributor
16 of 17

Ok, Petra, I think you misunderstood me on this part, I never accepted the fixed price contract, I saw the offer and how he funded it, and I asked him about it and that discussion happened, so I just declined the fixed price contract, so it is only one contract active with him

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
17 of 17

The biggest lesson to learn here is to not allow a client to hold you hostage over a review. There are strategies you can use to avoid an unsavory client trashing your JSS entirely, but in the end, decisions need to be made on a professional level and not out of fear. Don't give away your work for free in order to save a review, don't refund money for work you actually did, don't work without a funded milestone. Be clear and concise with your clients, lay out your expectations, and go from there.

This issue where freelancers give refunds in order to avoid bad reviews is what creates clients like this, who think they can use JSS as a bargaining chip or a threat. It's unprofessional and unacceptable. Don't feed the trolls.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS