cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think the job i'm doing is illegal

A client asked me to replace details of a legal document for a job that my proposal was accepted(graphic design job) and fully funded. I did not think much of it until a colleague of mine told me that what I was doing was most likely a felony in the client's country. What do I do in this case?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I would let the client know that you've found out what they are asking is illegal and that you will not do the work for them.  Honesty is the easiest policy.  I would still report the original job post as well.  As for ending the contract, I'm betting they will do so on their own.  Your JSS may take a small hit, but at least you will still have your account.

Also, send a link to the job posting and any important information that you can to either Vladimir G or Valeria K here on the forum.  You should see them listed on the left side of the forum under Top Solution Authors.  That way support can handle the fraud job posting and save your JSS if possible.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru

Where is that piece of document, Israel?  And where is Tiffany?

It is a a driver's license, they want me to replace the name and picture and signature and other details. I'm not sure i should upload this person's drivers license as it has personal information.

You are correct in thinking it is illegal.  I would suggest reporting the job to support immediately.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~

Ah, perhaps your client just wants to test you, Israel.  I'm curious.  Did you REALLY do it?

No, Juvy Ann, this would not be a "test".  The client (if it's the one listed as in progress) is in the United States and this is a common way to obtain a fraudulent ID.  It is very much illegal in the US and carries federal fines and prison time for large scale offenders (this would be a single case, but you get the idea).

Israel, please report the job to support.

The client accepted my proposal and funded it fully. Will this affect me in any way? I have not given them any work nor do I wish to receive payment. Do I just end the contract? What is the proper way of doing this. Thank you for helping me.

How do I report the job?

If you go to My Jobs and click that job, over on the right is an option for "View Original Job Post".  You can click that and flag the job posting itself for review.  Also, you can send a message to Vladimir or Valeria here on the forum to report the job and they can have support look at it.

I'm glad you came to ask about this, as you do not need your own reputation on the site ruined by a shady client 🙂

I have flagged the job as Phishing/fraud

Do I cancel the job? The client is giving me instructions but I do not know how to respond.

I would let the client know that you've found out what they are asking is illegal and that you will not do the work for them.  Honesty is the easiest policy.  I would still report the original job post as well.  As for ending the contract, I'm betting they will do so on their own.  Your JSS may take a small hit, but at least you will still have your account.

Also, send a link to the job posting and any important information that you can to either Vladimir G or Valeria K here on the forum.  You should see them listed on the left side of the forum under Top Solution Authors.  That way support can handle the fraud job posting and save your JSS if possible.

>>until a colleague of mine told me that what I was doing was most likely a felony in the client's country

Were you changing photo and name on the driver licence and not realizing that it is illegal until you were told that it is illegal?? By the way is it legal in your country or any other country?

Hi Israel Josef,

Thanks for flagging this violation, I'll follow up with our team as well and make sure the job and client are removed from the platform. Please review the tips we shared here which will help you recognize and avoid questionable jobs.

Untitled

Will my JSS still be affected? I do not believe it is fair to be punished for reporting illegal activity.

Hi Israel,

Reporting a violation will not negatively affect your account reputation, and we exclude contracts from "bad clients" from the freelancers' Job Success Score calculation.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS