Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I think this client is getting work done for free

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Marissa A Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
1 of 86

Hello,

For some time now I've seen the same type of jobs posted asking for a sample work for free. I constantly see this with different documents attached, basically making applicants do the job for free. As you can see, this person hasn't hired anyone yet. In this post they are asking to correct the attached document. I've also seen posts asking to create a lesson to teach a certain topic and that's like the free sample to show your skills.

I keep flagging all the posts but I just keep seeing them popping up and people applying.

Here's the latest link:

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Marissa

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 86

Marissa, unfortunately, the link you have given will be zapped by a moderator.

The only way to get Upwork's attention on this is to copy the links and take screenshots and send everything to CS stating your concerns. They will probably act on it. You may have to translate the job offer for them and say what the free sample is about.

Clients are not allowed to ask for free samples. I also thought that job offers had to be written in English (but this may have changed since the oDesk days).

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 86

I wish more people would do this so I can weed them out. What a monumental waste of time when someone contacts me, gives me links and documents, and says "OK, please write a 500 word article on x topic" only to disappear when I tell them they need to accept my bid. Then you look and they've contacted 10 other freelancers, so you know what they are doing, but they haven't technically asked for free work and yet that's what they are getting.

ragey face from me

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 86

Hi Marissa,

Thank you for reporting. I have followed up with the team and they will review and take actions against the posting and the account as soon as possible.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Leader
Mikila S Member Since: Sep 12, 2015
5 of 86

Hi Valeria

I'm just seeing this post. I think this might be the very same client. I just posted about this. This is so sad and so wrong.

Ace Contributor
Marissa A Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
6 of 86

It's back

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 86

Hi Marissa,

That job has been taken down already. Thanks!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
8 of 86

@ Marissa

I have seen posts like that asking for free work in that manner. I simply moved on. The annoying part is that those things are actually allowed to be posted AND then they continue even after reporting it.

The concern I have is other posts asking for a sample. Link to your work, portfolio uploads, a related item sent, etc. It's stuff like that which makes me wonder if it's getting stolen somehow just the same? I only have 3 items uploaded to my portfolio and only 1 I'm convinced as "good luck trying to use / steal that one". But that still leaves the other 2.

@ Nichola

Even back then I spotted many posts that were not in english. Then again, they were / are looking for non-enlgish speaking freelancers for the work. But recently i spotted a lot of job posts (writing categories) that are not in english just the same as back then.

It's the job posts that are in english that demand the freelancer have perfect english skills despite the horrific grammar mistakes in the job post. I don't know if I should be laughing or instant face palm?!!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
9 of 86
The client doesn't have to have good English. They are paying for someone with good English.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 86

Amen to what Marcia said.

We should be thrilled to see every sincere job post from clients who intend to hire people and pay them.

Horrible English languages skills are welcome from clients hiring editors and writers.

And clients who are clueless about how to get a website made are welcome if they're willing to hire professionals to help them.

Poorly written job posts are not something I see as a genuine problem, because you can ignore them and let a different type of contractor work with the client. With experience, I think contractors can learn to discern between scammers and clients who don't know how to write good job descriptions.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS