Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I think this client is getting work done for free

This widget could not be displayed.
Highlighted
61 of 86

If they ask for freelancers email address or free work in the job offer they have to be eliminated to protect freelancers.

Sometimes for me it looks more that nobody cares about flagging then disagreeing, especially if job offers are in German language and Upwork probabely cannot understand the content.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
62 of 86

@Margarete M wrote:

If they ask for freelancers email address or free work in the job offer they have to be eliminated to protect freelancers.

Sometimes for me it looks more that nobody cares about flagging then disagreeing, especially if job offers are in German language and Upwork probabely cannot understand the content.

At present email and Skype at okay on Upwork. BTW, multiple flagging actually does work. 

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
63 of 86

Hi Margarete,

I would like to confirm that it's allowed by Upwork policies to provide contact details in proposals. However, all the payments have to go through Upwork and we encourage you to report any attempt by the client to pay differently. All flagged job postings are sent to our Marketplace Quality team's queue for a review. If you would like to follow up about a posting you reported, please submit a ticket or send me a private message here in the Community. 

We appreciate your reports.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
64 of 86

I have seen several "jobs" like this in the past. Somebody offers his work disguised as a job offer. Just seen a new one in the German section. And why do people apply? Or is this a bogus meeting? Or selling guns to Germans? I will flag it.

I have looked up, they sell guns, maybe a contract killer meeting. 

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
65 of 86

Thank you, Margarete. I am following up with the team regarding both job postings.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
66 of 86

Thank you, Valeria.

I have flagged the job below several times. Maybe CS does not understand what is wrong with this job. This is a "job offer" of the Chinese baby formula mafia. This is a black market. Baby formula is already scarce in Germany because of this people who empty the shops and smuggle the baby formula to China where it is sold to private persons (horrendous prices). This is illegal and should not be supported here. Moreover the text of the "job offer" shows that they do not intend to spend any money on Upwork. This job already appeared weeks ago, I think it was removed but now it is back.

Highlighted
Community Guru
67 of 86

@Margarete M wrote:

Thank you, Valeria.

I have flagged the job below several times. Maybe CS does not understand what is wrong with this job. This is a "job offer" of the Chinese baby formula mafia. This is a black market. Baby formula is already scarce in Germany because of this people who empty the shops and smuggle the baby formula to China where it is sold to private persons (horrendous prices). This is illegal and should not be supported here. Moreover the text of the "job offer" shows that they do not intend to spend any money on Upwork. This job already appeared weeks ago, I think it was removed but now it is back.

Commission only jobs are forbidden on Upwork. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
68 of 86

re: "Maybe CS does not understand what is wrong with this job."

Margarete,

While you concern is noted, you do understand, don't you, that Upwork Customer Support personnel are low-paid customer support contractors hired from all over the world? They could not possibly be expected to know about German baby formula smuggling or any number of arcane laws in nearly 200 countries, not to mention state, provincial, municipal laws, etc.

None of us could possibly know all laws everywhere.

There will always be a responsibility on the part of individual contractors to be selective about the jobs they choose and to avoid jobs which conflict with their own personal ethical standards or local laws or whatnot.

I can assure you that every job currently posted on Upwork is considered illegal or unethical somewhere, even the jobs you think couldn't possibly offend anybody's sensibilities.

The fact that the German baby formula job is in conflict with Upwork ToS, due to it being a commission-only job, is sufficient cause for the job to be removed from Upwork. Even if the job presented a scenario that was completely legal everywhere, it shouldn't be on Upwork because it violates Upwork's ToS (Upwork's laws).

Highlighted
Community Guru
69 of 86

@Preston H wrote:

Margarete,

The fact that the German baby formula job is in conflict with Upwork ToS, due to it being a commission-only job, is sufficient cause for the job to be removed from Upwork. Even if the job presented a scenario that was completely legal everywhere, it shouldn't be on Upwork because it violates Upwork's ToS (Upwork's laws).

That's the point.

Highlighted
70 of 86

@Joachim M wrote:

@Preston H wrote:

Margarete,

That's the point.

Yes, indeed. I have saved the Chinese job and this is the message I now receive. So, is it still there as a private job? 

This job is private.

Only freelancers this client has invited can access this job post.

Please Go Back or go to our Home Page.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS