Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think this client is getting work done for free

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
21 of 86

Rugs get pulled from under one's feet . . . forget 'em.

I wonder just how many 'urgent' jobs actually get awarded.

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
22 of 86

@Nichola L wrote:

Rugs get pulled from under one's feet . . . forget 'em.

I wonder just how many 'urgent' jobs actually get awarded.

I always disliked rugs... Especially those jobs are interesting: very urgent, very easy and payment method not verified. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
23 of 86

I was interviewed as well - and yesterday told her she would have to pay a weekend charge if she needed me to work on a Sunday. I had overbid her budget in the first place...

She stopped communicating with me after my second message. Glad I stopped caring early on!

Highlighted
Employee
Tam L Employee Member Since: Aug 31, 2015
24 of 86

Can someone help me mimic the search (what are you typing, filtering by) they're using to find these postings? I would like to see this to find patterns in the posting. 

Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
25 of 86

[deketed bt author—misread scope of Tam's question]

Highlighted
26 of 86

@Tam L wrote:

Can someone help me mimic the search (what are you typing, filtering by) they're using to find these postings? I would like to see this to find patterns in the posting. 

Thanks!

I only search for "German" and often find strange job offers. Here one example of today following hereafter. A ZIP file was added to the job description. A free test translation was requested and a ZIP file added.

Details Needs to hire 20 Freelancers

HELLO,

We need translators from  German to french  for a Hugh project

Please respond questions bellow , send your CV and do the test in attachment .

Test Rule:

Note:

1. This is user manual on "Dash Camera", pls use the proper terminologies during your translation.

2. Pls remain the product name Das Cam in English.

3. Pls double check your translation before sending to me.

4. Attached SOURCE PDF for your reference.

Payment on Upwork

Regards.

Highlighted
Employee
Tam L Employee Member Since: Aug 31, 2015
27 of 86

Thanks Margarete - 

I have a few thoughts as to why you may think this is a non-legit posting, but was wondering if I could hear why in your own words. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
28 of 86

Tam,

This is a bit off-topic. But it ties in with signs of 'legit job postings'.

There is one client in particular that keeps coming up in my 'German' search almost every week - Margarete has 'met' them, too.

They have

14 reviews, 4.99 star average

Based in the US

194 Jobs Posted

9% Hire Rate, 51 Open Jobs

$9.562 Total Spent

23 Hires, 3 Active

Member since May, 2008

Their last hire was in April 2015. They are interviewing for 51 jobs - yet haven't hired anyone.

I am pretty sure that this client is legit in some respect as well - as in hiring freelancers. I only doubt they do so on Upwork... there are so many of these. And I am so tired of reporting them - or the ones that keep asking for free tests etc. - which BTW, Upwork's platinum clients do, too. All the time.

If a 9% hiring rate over the course of 7.5 years combined with 51 open jobs doesn't raise any flags @Upwork - what will?

I think Margarete reported this client. Yet they keep posting jobs. They offer me jobs via private email but are very careful, always insinuating that it will go through Upwork when I enquire whether their budgets include the Upwork fee.

But I don't take the jobs and they are never posted here. All their ads are very generic, there's almost never a specific assignment on offer.

Have I proof? No. And it's not my job to get it. But I keep wasting connects on job postings like this. Because on the surface, they seem like legitimate clients. They know how to work the system.

Ela

Edited to add: I also, just like Hanna describes below, applied for an 'urgent' job posting - I did send my CV (bar any personal data) and was told that the job 'fell through'. They have contacted me twice since.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
29 of 86

Tam,

I've had dealings with the same company as Ela and Margarete. It is not just German translators and writers they look for, thye also look for translators of Finnish, which leads me to believe that they look for translators of other languages as well. 

I was interviewed for a job by them as well, marked as URGENT - but when I received the interview request, I was suddenly asked to send my CV. What sort of small, 100 word translation work requires applicants to send off their CV? Not one that really is just for a 100 words, that's for sure.

I believe that the company recruits people on UpWork to build a database of translators to give work to off platform. I can name atleast one other company that I know for a fact tries to operate this way as well, as I was interviewed for a translation job by then, soon was told me the job was already awarded to someone else - but only after the client had hunted me down on Facebook based on my stupidly rare name and I had ,stupidly enough, accepted a friend request from them as I did not want to be impolite. Some weeks later, they started messaging me everywhere else but UpWork, offering off-platform work.

Clients like these build a good profile on UpWork, hire people for small jobs from time to time to keep thier stats ok, and anything bigger they farm out to the database they have already built. 

Highlighted
30 of 86

@Ela K wrote:

Tam,

This is a bit off-topic. But it ties in with signs of 'legit job postings'.

There is one client in particular that keeps coming up in my 'German' search almost every week - Margarete has 'met' them, too.

They have

14 reviews, 4.99 star average

Based in the US

194 Jobs Posted

9% Hire Rate, 51 Open Jobs

$9.562 Total Spent

23 Hires, 3 Active

Member since May, 2008

Their last hire was in April 2015. They are interviewing for 51 jobs - yet haven't hired anyone.

I am pretty sure that this client is legit in some respect as well - as in hiring freelancers. I only doubt they do so on Upwork... there are so many of these. And I am so tired of reporting them - or the ones that keep asking for free tests etc. - which BTW, Upwork's platinum clients do, too. All the time.

@If a 9% hiring rate over the course of 7.5 years combined with 51 open jobs doesn't raise any flags @Upwork - what will?

I think Margarete reported this client. Yet they keep posting jobs. They offer me jobs via private email but are very careful, always insinuating that it will go through Upwork when I enquire whether their budgets include the Upwork fee.

But I don't take the jobs and they are never posted here. All their ads are very generic, there's almost never a specific assignment on offer.

Have I proof? No. And it's not my job to get it. But I keep wasting connects on job postings like this. Because on the surface, they seem like legitimate clients. They know how to work the system.

Ela

I am not sure if I ever flagged them. What I have flagged today are about 16 job offers for 70 freelancers in various languages for online lessons via Skype... 

Payment method not verified

23 Jobs Posted
0% Hire Rate, 16 Open Jobs

example of Arab language tutors

Client Activity on this Job

Last Viewed: 22 hours ago

Proposals: 62

Interviewing: 38

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS