Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think this client is getting work done for free

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
31 of 86

Margarete, the one I reported yesterday (40 articles in finance) was removed yesterday and account suspended. Unfortunately he had 20 proposals by that time and probably received quite a number of free translations. But Upwork does remove fake jobs and suspend clients, at least sometimes.

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
32 of 86

@Joachim M wrote:

Margarete, the one I reported yesterday (40 articles in finance) was removed yesterday and account suspended. Unfortunately he had 20 proposals by that time and probably received quite a number of free translations. But Upwork does remove fake jobs and suspend clients, at least sometimes.

Joachim, every day you can find something that is not correct only in the German section. So you can imagine how many of similar offers are available on the plattform. To flag them is an easy and good way to react. I know that the job offers are not eliminated all the time.

I would also like to have a button to flag if somebody asks for illegal work, especially for Germany; for example if somebody wants the freelancer to find out private addresses of community clerks to get in touch with them, to proofread the layout of famous book whose text was stolen (Chinese client, only for private use, yes, yes), call unsatisfied private Amazon clients, collect address data from websites etc. The examples mentioned are all real. 

I also dislike if I have to visit a website or open a document, excel file, pdf or even a ZIP file to be able to provide my bid. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
33 of 86

@Margarete M wrote:

@Joachim M wrote:

Joachim, every day you can find something that is not correct only in the German section. So you can imagine how many of similar offers are available on the plattform. To flag them is an easy and good way to react. I know that the job offers are not eliminated all the time.

I would also like to have a button to flag if somebody asks for illegal work, especially for Germany; for example if somebody wants the freelancer to find out private addresses of community clerks to get in touch with them, to proofread the layout of famous book whose text was stolen (Chinese client, only for private use, yes, yes), call unsatisfied private Amazon clients, collect address data from websites etc. The examples mentioned are all real. 

I also dislike if I have to visit a website or open a document, excel file, pdf or even a ZIP file to be able to provide my bid. 

I know what you mean. But, things illegal in Germany may not be illegal in other countries. For others, e.g. collecting address data from websites, the final use may be illegal but collecting the data isn't, they are public. If doubt I inform/ask the client and if necessary inform him. Amazon listings are continuous source of problems. Way and again companies from abroad try to sell products that are not legal in Germany. Sometimes they are even successful. 

Highlighted
34 of 86

@Joachim M wrote:

Joachim, Yesterday I checked my proposals and found that I had sent a proposal to him as well. Maybe he was suspended before he could respond. 

Highlighted
35 of 86

@Tam L wrote:

Thanks Margarete - 

I have a few thoughts as to why you may think this is a non-legit posting, but was wondering if I could hear why in your own words. 

Hi Tam,

1 The client does not ask for a quote for the translation and is only interested in the test (provided it is a test). It is not mentioned how much will be paid for this test.

2 Any freelancer who wants to proceed has to open the pdf mentioned in the job offer. The pdf, in fact was a ZIP-file. I do not know the content of this because I have deleted it.

3 As you cannot upload any files before you have been interviewed it looks like that all communication will be outside of Upwork.

4 CV is requested that is not necessary.

5 High number of freelancers requested could also be an alarm signal.

6 The client has spent a very small amount of money in Upwork despite several projects.

59 Jobs Posted
9% Hire Rate, 9 Open Jobs

$73 Total Spent
5 Hires, 0 Active

Summarized, this example could implicate free work, gathering personal data from many freelancers, working outside of Upwork and installing malware by opening the ZIP file.

Highlighted
Employee
Tam L Employee Member Since: Aug 31, 2015
36 of 86

Thanks everyone for sharing your insight. Really opened my eyes to what different people look for in filterin out the bad postings. 

And Margarete (I think it was you who said this), you're right, "it's not your job" to figure out who's reputable or not. It's ours, and I'll add this to my ever expanding list of things to do =)

Let me continue to think about this, and in the meantime, if you or anyone feels like sharing tips and tricks to identify worrisome posts with me, I'd love to hear more. 

Highlighted
37 of 86

@Tam L wrote:

Thanks everyone for sharing your insight. Really opened my eyes to what different people look for in filterin out the bad postings. 

And Margarete (I think it was you who said this), you're right, "it's not your job" to figure out who's reputable or not. It's ours, and I'll add this to my ever expanding list of things to do =)

Let me continue to think about this, and in the meantime, if you or anyone feels like sharing tips and tricks to identify worrisome posts with me, I'd love to hear more. 

Another alarm signal is URGENT OR VERY URGENT, especially combined with "Payment method not verified". Those jobs can be urgent but in many cases they are not. It is just a method to attract many freelancers quickly.

And other "clients" are just looking for business partners and do not really offer a concrete job or try to build a team (for work outside of Upwork).

Free work can also become a problem during a fixed price job, when you agreed a budget for the job, the client has funded the amount and then you receive a message with additional documents to be amended (just happened to me over the weekend).

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
38 of 86

re: "Another alarm signal is URGENT OR VERY URGENT, especially combined with 'Payment method not verified'"

Yes, that sounds completely bogus.

Sometimes I DO post urgent jobs. But I do so while being payment verified. And when I have urgent work that needs to be done, I only use hourly contracts. I hire people as soon as they apply, without interviewing them, and have them get to work immediately. That's because it truly is urgent.

I can't promise you this will work for everybody. But every time I have done this, it has worked out great for me.

These urgent jobs have been very technical in nature, and I think only people who really know what they are doing apply.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
39 of 86

Doesn't Upwork pay someone to vet jobs as they get added, especially in what seems to be problem areas (writing and translating)? Why are freelancers the only one discovering these bogus posts? Freelancers could be spending their time looking through real jobs and doing work they actually get paid for, instead of sorting out bogus jobs for Upwork. Sounds like Upwork itself is asking for free work. Smiley Frustrated

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
40 of 86

re: "Doesn't Upwork pay someone to vet jobs as they get added, especially in what seems to be problem areas"

I have personally had job postings that I posted get kicked by Upwork back for revision.

So I know there are people who read job postings and block them from being posted.

I DO NOT KNOW any more than that.

Is every job read?

Are only samplings of jobs read?

Are jobs read when posted by new clients, but established, proven clients are given more leeway to post without their jobs being reviewed?

Are there automated algorithms that flag SOME jobs for review, and others go on through without being read by a human Upwork representative?

Are all jobs read, but they're read by different people, and some Upwork reviewers are more diligent or stricter than others?

I am NOT asking for moderators or any Upwork representatives to answer these question. I don't think they're obligated to answer anything here and they may well want to keep certain aspects of their inner workings private in order to prevent scammer clients from gaming the system.

I'm just saying that these are things that I don't know. The possible different answers to these questions may explain why there are jobs that get posted which seem clearly out of step with Upwork's policies.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS