Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think this client is getting work done for free

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
41 of 86

@Cathleen C wrote:

Why are freelancers the only one discovering these bogus posts? Freelancers could be spending their time looking through real jobs and doing work they actually get paid for, instead of sorting out bogus jobs for Upwork. Sounds like Upwork itself is asking for free work. Smiley Frustrated

Bogus hunt: 5 USD per swindler... Woman Wink

Highlighted
42 of 86

Maybe another example of fraud or attempt to recruit people for working outside of Upwork or spam. 12 job offers today in German and English, texts nearly identical. After two months still no verified payment method.

It is a startup, according to their website located in Gibraltar, producing books + ebooks. The client history:

About the Client
Payment Method Not Verified

Gibraltar
Gibraltar 10:58 PM

13 Jobs Posted
0% Hire Rate, 13 Open Jobs

Member Since Aug 20, 2015

They are looking for different kind of freelancers. The job offers are mainly in German but also in English language. Small fees for continious work, fixed price. In all job offers they claim that they will pay at the end of the month. Where? Outside of Upwork? Maybe the whole company is fraud. No VAT-ID, they cannot be contacted per telephone, payments only to their bank account. Moreover the website and the tone of the job offers are not very convincing. By sending them an email you declare that you accept their terms and conditions that are not available on the site. And they ask for a NDA that will provide them data about the freelancers.

All clients should be forced to write their job offers in English so that Upwork could be able to understand the content as well.

Highlighted
43 of 86

Another example of clients doing wrong: It happened to me today. I have withdrawn my bid. I cannot flag the job here, because it happened in Elance and we cannot flag there anymore. Moreover I would have to translate the conversation in German language. However, the same job offer is here in Upwork as well. I have been asked twice if I would like to work outside of Elance. In case I would like to be rated I could provide a small job for Upwork and the rest outside.

And this behaviour could be reflected by his profile. 10% hire rate, only $28 spent.

About the Client

(0.00) 0 reviews

Germany
Hamburg 01:33 AM

10 Jobs Posted
10% Hire Rate, 4 Open Jobs

$28 Total Spent
1 Hire, 1 Active

Member Since Jul 27, 2015

Besides that, he has a freelancer profile as well. We discussed the payment he offered that I regarded being too low. I wonder if there are freelancers on the platform who try to find another freelancer for a cheap price to sell the work to a third party.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
44 of 86

@Margarete M wrote:

Besides that, he has a freelancer profile as well. We discussed the payment he offered that I regarded being too low. I wonder if there are freelancers on the platform who try to find another freelancer for a cheap price to sell the work to a third party.

Margarete, you can copy the link and send it to CS on Elance.

To answer your question, yes there are many freelancers searching for other freelancers to do the job for less than what are getting. This kind or rehiring is strictly forbidden on Elance, I don't now about Upwork. I have also seen it happen that a freelancer was awarded a job on Elance and he then hired another one on Upwork to do the job.

Highlighted
45 of 86

Joachim M wrote:

To answer your question, yes there are many freelancers searching for other freelancers to do the job for less than what are getting. This kind or rehiring is strictly forbidden on Elance, I don't now about Upwork. I have also seen it happen that a freelancer was awarded a job on Elance and he then hired another one on Upwork to do the job.

Ah, another bad thing. I hope that Upwork does not support this practice. I was sceptical when I realized that he was very unflexible in regard to the price.

Yes, I could copy the link but would have to translate the conversation in English. I am too lazy for that. I have told this guy what I think about his behaviour and given enough hints here. I regard this as a "case study" for specific client behaviours.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
46 of 86

re: " hope that Upwork does not support this practice. I was sceptical when I realized that he was very unflexible in regard to the price."

There's a difference between "not supporting" and "banning."

You will be disappointed if you hope to find Upwork free of this.

Highlighted
47 of 86

@Preston H wrote:

re: " hope that Upwork does not support this practice. I was sceptical when I realized that he was very unflexible in regard to the price."

There's a difference between "not supporting" and "banning."

You will be disappointed if you hope to find Upwork free of this.

I suspect Upwork is not free of this. However, is this practice forbidden here?   

Highlighted
48 of 86

@Joachim M wrote:

I have also seen it happen that a freelancer was awarded a job on Elance and he then hired another one on Upwork to do the job.

Unbelievable! Who was it? However, such practices could explain why some people from Germany offer extremly low paid jobs for the German market. Maybe level two, three or already four of rehireing. The work could also be done by other freelancers as one of those free "tests". Woman Wink

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dietmar Thomas B Member Since: Aug 11, 2015
49 of 86

I like this idea, easy way to make $100 in half an hour Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
50 of 86

@Dietmar Thomas B wrote:

I like this idea, easy way to make $100 in half an hour Smiley Happy

True :-) But, it would suffice if Upwork would implement as general practice what they did with one culprit I reported. They reported back to me that they had taken action by cancelling the job and suspending the client. I was quite surprised about this detailed report as normally they insist on taking action but not saying what they actually did. I'm sure more people would report offenders if they received such detailed feedback instead of the usual secrecy. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS