cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've been scammed - How an I request credit for my proposal points

ranree
Randall J Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
1 of 30

I'm new here at Upwork and still learning my way around. Buy here's my story and I would like to contat Upwork to kindly request credit for my 2 proposal points because of this matter.

A company responded to my proposal and scheduled an online interview on Google Hangout (which was text-based). The person introduced himself as a highing manager for **Edited for Community Guidelines**, which the company name was not previously disclosed on the Upwork posting. It did raise an eyebrow that his Google Hangout address was a gmail address, and not one for **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

He started off by asking my age, gender, and location. Hummm, i ignored and only sated my city/state for this part of the conversation. Nonetheless,  he moved on and gave me a summary of the job and asked mutiple very general questions relating to my work experince, I did not think much about it at the time since i assumed there was already a certain level of vetting and review of my resume prevuious to this call. Afterwards put me on "online hold" to get approval from the dept head... 10 minutes later he returns and said I was "offically qualified" to start working with them. He then starts giving me information, and a long list of all the software that I'm going to need to do this ongiong admin job etc... The list was a bit overwhelming, as I know a ton of software, it seemed a bit odd that all of this would be required for an online admin job, additionall the list never included basic software like Excell or Word...

Then its starts getting officially weird, he tells me that they're going to send me a check for $2900 so I can purchase all of this software and any other supplies I needed to start the job. Moments later he tells me that they will send me this high end laptop. I started feeling a bit uneasy and started thinking, well, what type of respectable and large company would send you a latop and not already have the software installed,  That doesnt even make sense for their own security reasons. And I have never been sent a check to go buy software for a comany and install it myself, even if i needed to order something for myself it wou lbe on a company credit card OR charged directly to the company's account... that's the way it works folks.

Anyway, I then asked for a bout the 3rd time "when will I see the offer on upwork, or an offer letter. He continues to tell me that it's coming with all the materials that he already stated and that now he needs my name, adress, phone, etc... Good thing this was all on text, it gave me an opportunity to do a quck google searcha to find that this exact same scenario has played out time countless times with may other unsuspecting job/work hunters. These scammers want to send you a check so you can deposit it... not sure what happens after that but i didn't want to find out. 

I then responded again and said... "so when is the offer coming", he seemed to be slightly aggravated at that point and says : I told you, when we send you these materials, you need to send me your address and theother information"... I then responded by saying, Thank you, I'm going to take a pas on this opportunity.

I have now gone back to the initial posting and and flagged as inappropriate/fruad. I hope Upwork would be so kind as to credit back my 2 proposal points.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 30

Randall, I'm glad you weren't taken in and you flagged the job. If Upwork cancels the job, you *are* supposed to get your connects back. As you discovered by Googling, this is a common scam at Upwork. Another common one requires you to pay a small fee for a work permit. Most of these scams can be avoided by following 2 rules: 

1. never send money to get a job
  2. never accept payment outside Upwork, such as by check or PayPal

View solution in original post

navistar777
Jaswinder S Member Since: Feb 2, 2017
3 of 30

Hi! Randall,

Thanks for also sharing this on the community and well said by John that sometimes I was getting also an offers to work outiside Upwork and get paid directly through Paypal or Direct bank deposit, hopefully Upwork will update you soon.

Regards,

Jaswinder Singh

ranree
4 of 30

What are some of the signs to avoid from reading their work post?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 30

@Randall J wrote:

What are some of the signs to avoid from reading their work post?

The second someone says "Google Hangout" - RUN!

New account, seemingly offering an unusually high rate, payment method not verified, talking about a "hiring manager" etc etc etc

kdgcom
Ace Contributor
Logan K Member Since: Mar 28, 2011
6 of 30

What initially caught my attention... They kept referring to **Edited for Community Guidelines** (hiring manager) as He and Him.
Also I googled the company profile.
**Edited for Community Guidelines** is with the company but she is on the board of directors for a 2.8 Billion dollar company with 22,700 employees and most certainly would not be conducting person interviews

petra_r
Community Guru
7 of 30

@Randall J wrote:
These scammers want to send you a check so you can deposit it... not sure what happens after that but i didn't want to find out.

They send you the check, you deposit it, it "appears to clear" - you send the money to the so called supplier, who is actually the scammer himself because there is no job, no laptop, no software.

A few days later the check OF COURSE bounces, and you owe the bank $ 2900.

ranree
8 of 30

Wow... but they woud only be giving someone a check only to get the same amount back... maybe I'm not getting it. Either way, I'm so glad I didn't fall for it, but very disappointed because I thought I landed a project.

ranree
9 of 30

Wowzer... that's bananas! It's good that I'm skeptical of just about anything these days. Not a good practice anyway for people to draw on money that hasn't been confirmed "cleared" in your bank account.

petra_r
Community Guru
10 of 30

@Randall J wrote:

Wowzer... that's bananas! It's good that I'm skeptical of just about anything these days. Not a good practice anyway for people to draw on money that hasn't been confirmed "cleared" in your bank account.

That is why those scammers only target US victims. The funds "appear" cleared... it is only days or even weeks later that they turn out to be fake. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS