cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've been scammed - How an I request credit for my proposal points

5687e743
Thomas K Member Since: Jan 12, 2021
11 of 30

Someone said they were going to send me a check for $150 to assist me in setting up an office. They sent a digital check for $3,350. They insisted that I copy the check on my cell phone and deposit it electronically. I played along with them and told them that I had deposited the check, but I did not deposit it. They asked me to send them proof that the check had been deposited. I told them I would not know if the bank had received my electronic deposit until the next morning. They said I was lying and the bank would send me an immediate notification. I was on Skype with the scammer and closed it. The next morning I logged on to Skype and there was a message threatening to have the FBI, CIA, and local law enforcement come to my house and arrest me for mail fraud. I shut Skype down and have not logged back on for three days. I'm waiting for law enforcement to show up.

I have contacted Upwork and sent them all correspondence I received.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
12 of 30

Thomas K wrote:

Someone said they were going to send me a check for $150 to assist me in setting up an office. They sent a digital check for $3,350. They insisted that I copy the check on my cell phone and deposit it electronically. I played along with them and told them that I had deposited the check, but I did not deposit it. They asked me to send them proof that the check had been deposited. I told them I would not know if the bank had received my electronic deposit until the next morning. They said I was lying and the bank would send me an immediate notification. I was on Skype with the scammer and closed it. The next morning I logged on to Skype and there was a message threatening to have the FBI, CIA, and local law enforcement come to my house and arrest me for mail fraud. I shut Skype down and have not logged back on for three days. I'm waiting for law enforcement to show up.

I have contacted Upwork and sent them all correspondence I received.

You gotta scam bait them better. Get a receipt from an ATM and shoop the deposit and send them proof. They will send you bank account numbers to transfer the funds and you can report those to the bank. 😎😎😎

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
13 of 30

Hi Thomas,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. A member of the team has already responded to your ticket and is awaiting your response. You should also be able to access the ticket directly here.

Please note that all conversations before a contract is started must be through Upwork Messages, where you can send messages, have video calls, and more. 

Please check this thread for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
kdgcom
Ace Contributor
Logan K Member Since: Mar 28, 2011
14 of 30

I got a similar offer yesterday...same Software scam but the company is called **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

I have flagged the job post, contacted upwork via email and I contacted the FBI.

I managed to get a phone number from the scammers by playing dumb so I have turned all the info over to the FBI

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 30

They're not giving you a check worth the same amount. They give you a totally fake check worth nothing and you give them real money.

kdgcom
Ace Contributor
16 of 30

Yep that's the whole scam. You are stuck with a huge over draft and likely to face criminal charges.

I have been with Upwork since 2011 and have never had this happen. I guess there's always a first time.

kdgcom
Ace Contributor
17 of 30

Also, I find it hard to believe that hours later, after I have notified Upwork and flagged the post it is still active.

These people are continuing to invite and "interview" people. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
18 of 30

Hi Randall and Logan,

It looks like accounts of clients you are referring to have already been limited. The team will also take actions against job posts shortly and connects should be returned to you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
kdgcom
Ace Contributor
19 of 30

Thanks. Personally I don't see why Upwork allows people to post ads without a verified payment method.

If they can't verify their payment method then what good is the post anyway?

It would help protect freelancers from scammers and keep people from being able to post the hundreds/thousands of ads that they never intended to follow through with.

navistar777
Jaswinder S Member Since: Feb 2, 2017
20 of 30

Hi! Logan,

Yes i do agree with you without verified posting the job is sometimes really pain in ass because sometime i recieved the messages for somekind of promotional and signup spams thats really annoying and time wastage thing.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS