🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I've haven't been paid my full amount.
Page options
madbanditroy
Community Member

I've haven't been paid my full amount.

I recently completed a job where I was supposed to be paid $10, but the client only paid $5, and has the rest in escrow. Should I wait for the rest of the money after the 14 weeks, dispute the contract or end the contract?
12 REPLIES 12
petra_r
Community Member

Leroy P wrote:
I recently completed a job where I was supposed to be paid $10, but the client only paid $5, and has the rest in escrow. Should I wait for the rest of the money after the 14 weeks, dispute the contract or end the contract?

Have you asked the client? Is there a milestone for that remaining $ 5?

wlyonsatl
Community Member

It's a 14-day wait for the automatic payment or request for changes by the client, Leroy.

If you have already contacted the client about releasing the funds and they have done nothing, your best bet is to just wait for the 14 days to pass. You don't want to antagonize the client as long as they are sticking to Upwork's rules.

Will L wrote:

It's a 14-day wait for the automatic payment or request for changes by the client,

It would be if there is a milestone...

It sounds like the client might have released only half of the $ 10 - leaving $ 5 in Escrow but without a milestone, so it can't be submitted against. That will never autorelease if that's the case, not in 14 days or 14 weeks.

If you have completed the work and the money in escrow is the remainder due to the freelancer, why not use the submit button to submit the same work again against that escrow amount to start the clock on releasing that remaining escrow?

If Upwork's fixed price system allows a client to refuse to release escrow in full that is a new one on me. It's never a dull moment here in Upworkland.

Will L wrote:

If you have completed the work and the money in escrow is the remainder due to the freelancer, why not use the submit button to submit the same work again against that escrow amount to start the clock on releasing that remaining escrow?

That can only be done if there is a milestone. Otherwise, (another oddity) there is money floating in escrow which can not be submitted against or requested with that "submit for payment" button.

I think what might (!) have happened here is the client hired the OP at $ 10, then released $ 5, but without setting up another milestone for the remaining $ 5. So those $ 5 float around in Escrow. No milestone, no button, nothing to click, no 14 day countdown.

Yet another reason not to use the fixed-price payment mechanism on Upwork. 

Will L wrote:

No, it's a reason to use the fixed-price payment mechanism as it's designed to be used, by not working ahead of funded milestones.

Phyllis G wrote:

Will L wrote:

No, it's a reason to use the fixed-price payment mechanism as it's designed to be used, by not working ahead of funded milestones.

The OP probably didn't work ahead of a funded milestone.

You can take a fully funded job with one milestone, the client can release partial payment, leaving the rest in Escrow, but without a milestone against it there is noway to submit or request payment other than the client paying or through a dispute.

Petra R wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

Will L wrote:

The OP probably didn't work ahead of a funded milestone.

You can take a fully funded job with one milestone, the client can release partial payment, leaving the rest in Escrow, but without a milestone against it there is noway to submit or request payment other than the client paying or through a dispute.

That's a stinky loophole I didn't realize was there.

I guess the bottom line is that the OP paid $5 to get the measure of this client. (Unless it turns out to be a mistake and the client comes across with the other $5. Then the lesson is to keep an eye on him and hold his hand.)

You're right, but the client promised me the $10 for the work as a whole job. The arrangement was supposed to be a test run and he wanted to charge $5, but he didn't bother to correct "his mistake". That's why I'm thinking of disputing the contract.

Hi Leroy,

I`m sorry to hear about your experience with your client. At this moment your client can open a second milestone or send the remaining funds as a bonus.

Please keep in mind that unfunded milestones or promised funds are not protected under our Fixed price protection for freelancers. Always make sure that the agreed budget is fully funded on your milestone. To learn more how you`re protected on fixed price contracts check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

wrote:

Hi Leroy,

I`m sorry to hear about your experience with your client. At this moment your client can open a second milestone or send the remaining funds as a bonus.

No bonus. If there are $ 5 in Escrow, a bonus would result in the client's payment method being charged, and the $ 5 in Escrow still floating about in Escrow. A bonus can not be funded with escrowed funds, only an additional milestone can.

Goran wrote:

Please keep in mind that unfunded milestones or promised funds are not protected under our Fixed price protection for freelancers. Always make sure that the agreed budget is fully funded on your milestone.

He said in the first post that the remaining $ 5 are in Escrow?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members