🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I want to discontinue one of my contracts but...
Page options
patanwala_husain
Community Member

I want to discontinue one of my contracts but worried about my profile

Hello Everyone,

I was recently hired by one client but he is micro managing me and giving way too much stress by continuously asking for updates, results etc. and not letting me focus on my work and also questioned me rudely about hours billed which was shocking for me because i have worked with tons of good clients but no one has ever asked something like this. And he also expecting me to work right now (11 PM)

Now i just don't want to continue with this person but i am also worried about my profile so i am unable decide what to do. Can please any experienced freelancer help me out?

Many Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Husain:
You have completed 63 jobs already!

You have 97% JSS, which is great.

Don't worry so much about one single job. You can end this contract and weather any bump that this might cause, because you will see only a small bump (if any).

Regardless of your JSS, for the sake of being a conscientious professional and a nice person, I recommend that you end things gracefully and thoughtfully.

But definitely do NOT continue working for this client if you don't want to do so.

Freelancers have a right to end a contract at ANY time.

You are ALLOWED to tell the client why you don't to work for any longer. You are NOT obligated to do so. Before you make a decision about upbraiding the client, consider how doing that will benefit you personally. You don't owe this person anything in terms of free services as a life coach, pastor, rabbi or imam.

I think you should CHOOSE between these two messages that you send to the client:

a) "Daniel: Thank you for the opportunity to work on this project. Unfortunately, something unexpected has come up and I will not be able to work on the project any more. All of the files are on the server. I have closed the contract."

[or]

b) "Daniel: Thank you for the opportunity to work on this project. Unfortunately, something unexpected has come up and I need to wrap up my inolvement with this project. All of the files are on the server. I have closed the contract. If there is anything I can do to help you transition this work to other team members during the next five days, please let me know. On Friday I will be closing this and similar projects on Upwork."

The truth is... I can imagine that this client might be a good client for some freelancers to work for. There are no doubt some freelancers who need or appreciate that level of micromanagement. But not every client/freelancer combination is a "good fit." You are not the right freelancer to be working for this client, and the sooner you stop doing so, the better it will be for you.

If this client finds that he is unable to accomplish his goals because his style of leadership or management is ineffective, then what will happen? Either he will seek learning and improve himself. Or the ideas that he had will be implemented faster and more effectively by other people.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

Husain:
You have completed 63 jobs already!

You have 97% JSS, which is great.

Don't worry so much about one single job. You can end this contract and weather any bump that this might cause, because you will see only a small bump (if any).

Regardless of your JSS, for the sake of being a conscientious professional and a nice person, I recommend that you end things gracefully and thoughtfully.

But definitely do NOT continue working for this client if you don't want to do so.

Freelancers have a right to end a contract at ANY time.

You are ALLOWED to tell the client why you don't to work for any longer. You are NOT obligated to do so. Before you make a decision about upbraiding the client, consider how doing that will benefit you personally. You don't owe this person anything in terms of free services as a life coach, pastor, rabbi or imam.

I think you should CHOOSE between these two messages that you send to the client:

a) "Daniel: Thank you for the opportunity to work on this project. Unfortunately, something unexpected has come up and I will not be able to work on the project any more. All of the files are on the server. I have closed the contract."

[or]

b) "Daniel: Thank you for the opportunity to work on this project. Unfortunately, something unexpected has come up and I need to wrap up my inolvement with this project. All of the files are on the server. I have closed the contract. If there is anything I can do to help you transition this work to other team members during the next five days, please let me know. On Friday I will be closing this and similar projects on Upwork."

The truth is... I can imagine that this client might be a good client for some freelancers to work for. There are no doubt some freelancers who need or appreciate that level of micromanagement. But not every client/freelancer combination is a "good fit." You are not the right freelancer to be working for this client, and the sooner you stop doing so, the better it will be for you.

If this client finds that he is unable to accomplish his goals because his style of leadership or management is ineffective, then what will happen? Either he will seek learning and improve himself. Or the ideas that he had will be implemented faster and more effectively by other people.

Hello Preston, Thank you for your reply! Yes you're right. This client would be good fit for newbies but the way he behaves make me feel like this client is not for me because his tone is also bit rude and bully type which is not acceptable to me so i think i should follow your advice. Thanks again!

I think that micromanagements are ok in hourly contracts. Then you desire that the client talks you, because it means that in the you will have work invoiced for the week. But sometimes the clients ask you fixed price jobs that have extended the time that they are convenient for, and still the clients are micromanaging you.

The fact is that contract was started just yesterday and i billed only 2 hrs. He did all these things in just this time so you can imagine how horrible it would be to continue with this person.

If he leaves you a bad review and you are worried about it, you can also consider making a refund since it was 2 hours of work, so his review won't show up on your profile. His private feedback would still affect your JSS but I don't think it will be a considerably important effect. And I guess it is better if you close the contract before he does so that you will have a 50% of chance not getting feedback from him as clients sometimes do not care about it and simply forget.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths