🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I want to expose the reality of client
Page options
luqmanafzal
Community Member

I want to expose the reality of client

Hello, I was hired for a project of $3k. The work was divided into 4 milestones. I delivered the 3 milestones to him. The issue started with the last phase. 
I agreed to deliver him the phase of his project on 20 May. However, I told him that I want 5 more days to complete the project. The client agreed to it. I delivered him the work on 22nd May. He replied to me on 24 May that there are some mistakes in the work. I asked him to give me the list of issues he found in the project so I can make it once. He told me that he wants to go it step by step, and he will give me all the issues of 3 parts. He then gave me the list of all 3 parts. I cleared all the issues he found. After delivering him the work cleared with the issues, I asked him to check the complete work.

Later, he told me that he will send the final work now to his client and the client will check the all work. He then told me that his client has found more issues. He told me that the client has asked his accountant to ready the final payment. Once the client will give him the final touch-ups, he will give it to me and will pay me the remaining amount. (Screen Shot#1) I waited for 11 days for the final touch-ups and the payment as well. In the meantime, I asked him again and again for an update from his client. He always told me that there is no reply from his client.

After 11 days when I asked him again for the update, he told me that his client is not replying to him and he is not responsible for the payment if he does not reply to him. He asked me to delete the all work and once the client replies to him, I can upload all the work again. I told him instantly that now his client's work has no use for me and the work might have been already downloaded by his client. I told him that my contract was with you and not with your client and you are responsible for the payment if your client does not reply to you. He told me that his client also has some issues too and he had done his part already (Screen Shot#2). If his client has some issues, what is my fault then?

He then started me to blame that I could not deliver the work on time in a past deadline. I told him, if he had any kind of issues with the deadline, he could have asked me to stop the work but now after he agreed to a new timeline and after completed work, he told me to wait for final touch up and payment, you can not say that I am responsible.

He once told me in the past that if I am not able to give him the work, he will delay the payment. I showed him his screenshot and asked him, is the delay of payment is because of what you have said in the past? He then started to blame me again for putting it on him (Screen Shot#3). After denying to pay me the final amount he told me that his client has ready the final amount. I asked him that you always told me that he is not replying to you. He then said the client is his friend.

He also accused me that I was not able to deliver him the work as mentioned. I told him that you have checked it all. You have given me the list. I have fixed the issues you found and showed it to you. So, what is there that I was not able to do. He said that his client did not like the work overall. However,

**Edited for community guidelines**checked the work himself.

I told him that I simply want the payment for my hard work. I asked him if he thinks he is right, he can submit the remaining amount in Upwork Escrow so the Upwork can decide who is right and who is wrong. If my claim is right the payment will be transferred to me otherwise, he will get it back. He did not agree to submit the amount either. (The reason the amount was not already in Upwork escrow is that he gave me his words 4 times that he will pay me and asked me to trust him for the final payment. He requested me to continue the work and not worry about the payment). My biggest mistake was to work without the funded payment.

As for the earlier payments paid to me, the work was divided into the phases. He checked all the work before making any payment to me. Not only him, but he also showed it all to his client and got approval from his client for the payment release. Here is for last payment paid to me. (Screen Shot # 4)

I told him that I will tell this all to Upwork and after that, he started the dispute. I have asked him twice to submit the money so the Upwork can decide who is right, but he is not even willing to submit the amount there. After only a day of mediation process, he had no answers so he ended the contract and said he don't want to have any more discussions. 

Question: So now my only question is, can I tell everyone (his all clients, his friends, etc.) about how he conceals the work for free in the name of the trust? Will Upwork allow me this?
Here is the link of the dispute he started and left. 

**Edited for community guidelines**

12 REPLIES 12
tlbp
Community Member

You want to dox a client for not paying the final, unfunded milestone on your contract? 

Are you not concerned that they will then tell everyone that your work was unsatisfactory? 

luqmanafzal
Community Member

What if my work was completely okay and he wants to take the work free. He has 3 reviews on his profile. All reviews are less than 2 star rating and one freelancer already has accused him of not paying at the end. Maybe, he has played the same trick with him.

lysis10
Community Member

Tonya P wrote:

You want to dox a client for not paying the final, unfunded milestone on your contract? 

Are you not concerned that they will then tell everyone that your work was unsatisfactory? 

The internet really isn't sending their best. I LOL'd through the whole story.

9b660019
Community Member

Keep in mind that future clients will be able to see this client's public feedback.

"Freelancer proceeded to harass myself and my family/friends because a payment dispute didn't go their way" would be a massive red flag on your profile page.

Edit:

Muhammad Luqman A wrote:

All reviews are less than 2 star rating and one freelancer already has accused him of not paying at the end. Maybe, he has played the same trick with him.

Was this feedback not there when you submitted your proposal, did you not take the time to check, or did you see it in advance and decide to proceed anyway?

He has already given me the review as he gave to all earlier freelancers before me. 

I don't know what action (if any) Upwork might take should you proceed with this plan and the client complain about your actions.

However, there is no realistic scenario in which this helps you recover the money you weren't paid or land your next job - but there are scenarios in which this results in a suspended/banned Upwork account or future potential clients stumbling across this discussion thread.

Unless you're willing to go through arbitration (which would cost you about $300, non-refundable), I would suggest you write it off as a painful lesson in the importance of vetting clients and move on.

In spite of everything, I still believed that people are really good at heart 😞

Muhammad Luqman A wrote:

Yes, I see this a lot from people who don't get paid.

Lol, obviously the people don't get paid are saints. But this time, I was really.

tlbp
Community Member

Muhammad Luqman A wrote:

You can believe that, just make sure you still get your milestones funded before you do any work. 

petra_r
Community Member

Muhammad Luqman A wrote:

Question: So now my only question is, can I tell everyone (his all clients, his friends, etc.) about how he conceals the work for free in the name of the trust? 

Only if you want to get your account suspended. And get kicked off the platform.

Adam A wrote:

Unless you're willing to go through arbitration (which would cost you about $300, non-refundable), I would suggest you write it off as a painful lesson in the importance of vetting clients and move on.

He can't even dispute a non-funded milestone, let alone go for arbitration

JoanneP

Hi Muhammad Luqman,

I checked, and I can see that our team is already assisting you directly via ticket. Please continue to correspond with our team directly so that they can assist you efficiently. Thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members