cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I want to invite an Upwork Admin to moderate.

wnazareno
warren n Member Since: Sep 19, 2015
1 of 10

Hi Upwork Admin,

I believed my work with my client is 100% finished.

Right now she is complaining that she still sees the words "test101" and "helloworld" on her mobile devices,
Which I believed I already removed and tried my android smartphones/tablets and they don't exist anymore.
I used those words for markings/testing on her website.

Now I need an Admin from Upwork to moderate this issue.

How do I invite an Admin to our discussion?

thanks in advance.

t-hall
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
2 of 10

Now.. THAT could be a caching issue Smiley Wink

wnazareno
3 of 10

Yes we did already the "clear cache" thing already.

I will make an update to this thread later, I need to talk to her first.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 10

[EDIT: After reading some excellent information from Petra, I want to proactively edit this post, and also point out explicitly that this is my own opinion and it does not present the whole picture of what filing a dispute means. Keep in mind that I don't work for Upwork and I don't have any special knowledge of Upwork beyond what I read on the Upwork website and in the Forum. In the original version of this post, I have grouped "contacting customer support", "filing a dispute" and "going to external arbitration" together as if they're sort of all one thing, which they are not. Petra's response, which follows my post, provides a more nuanced, more detailed perspective. It was not my intention to provide incorrect information.]

re: "I want to invite an Upwork Admin to moderate."

Warren: No. No, you DO NOT want to do this.

You are a smart person. You have nearly 1000 hours logged on your profile. You can work this out with your client.

Worst case scenario: you tell your client:

"Janet, I really do wish you well. I'm sorry that I was unable to meet your expectations with this project. I'm available if you need me to coordinate or answer questions with any new developer you bring on to work on the project."

But Warren the very last thing you want is to bring Upwork moderators in to work out disagreements about your source code. This could lead to "filing a dispute," which could lead to an external arbitration process which would cost you about $300 minimum and will not end well for you or the client.

[Previously my wording suggested this was sort of all one thing, mostly because I don't know very much about filing a dispute, aside from the fact that everything I read about it in the Forum makes it sound like a fiasco that I would never want to be a participant in.]

It will probably ravage your job success score. [I don't know that for a fact.] It will block you from Top Rated status. [I don't know that for a fact.] It will mark you as a trouble-maker and it is one of the most disastrous, I'll-advised things you could do on Upwork. [This is definitely an opinion.]

And in the end, you will not have accomplished your primary goal. The dispute people are never going to resolve a disagreement about source code. They are going to tell you to work it out with your client, and if you can't work out your disagreement with your client and things move to external arbitration, then both you and your client will be charged about $300 each for the external arbitration people to make a decision, which won't necessarily be in your favor.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 10

Preston H wrote
That is called "filing a dispute" and it will cost you about $300 minimum and will not end well for you or the client. It will probably ravage your job success score. It will block you from Top Rated status. It will mark you as a trouble-maker and it is one of the most disastrous, I'll-advised things you could do on Upwork.

What?

Preston, seriously? That is not particularly accurate stuff.

For starters, asking for help is not "filing a dispute!" .. "Filing a dispute" is "filing a dispute"

I think you are confused about the differences between contacting support for help, disputes being filed, and the concepts of Support, Mediation, Dispute and Arbitration (The latter being the only bit that costs money) and their respective functions and impacts.

Even filing a dispute will not cost any money AT ALL unless it goes to external arbitration and external arbitration is entirely optional, and very few disputes ever go that far. The vast majority of disputes are settled between freelancer and client, some are settled through mediation of the dispute team, and a tiny few are settled via arbitration. Arbitration is only worth it when large sums of money are involved and is ONLY applicable for fixed rate contracts AND when there is a large sum in Escrow. As the very considerable cost of arbitration is split 3 ways (freelancer pays a third, client pays a third, and Upwork pay a third) nobody likes going down that route and it hardly ever happens. If it DOES happen,NO; the arbitrators will not tell them to work it out themselves, they make a binding decision. That is what they are paid to do. Clearly THIS case would nomore reach an arbitrator than it will reach the Pope.

Neither contacting support nor raising a dispute will "block you from Top Rated status." It will *NOT* mark anyone as a trouble maker and No, it is NOT the "most disastrous, ill advised thing he could do on Upwork!" I can think of plenty that are far worse.

Those kind of statements being thrown out as fact will put it in people's mind that they must never contact support because it will spell the end of life as they know it. That kind of disastrous misconception can lead to people not getting help when they really need it and could easily be helped, because they dare not contact support after reading that it will kill their account.

A contract ending badly will ding the job success score, obviously, and disputes raised against a freelancer can also do that. However, the mere act of asking for some help with a client misunderstanding won't. It may be unnecessary (In this case I think it is) and it may not achieve anything (in this case it probably won't) but it won't trigger a bunch of dire consequences by itself, and often it actually does sort things amicably.

Asking for help with a client issue is just that: It's "asking for help with a client issue!"

You don't even know what kind of contract it is? If it's, for example, for an hourly contract (which most of his are) there isn't even any kind of "dispute" the freelancer could raise. A dispute would only be triggered if the client disputed hours, or, (if it is a fixed rate contract) the client ended the contract and refused to release any funds, and the freelancer then disputed the return of funds to the client.

I completely agree with you that the proper way forward is to communicate with the client in an adult and professional way as Upwork won't get involved in checking code. Not that checking code woud be needed in this case, the issue is that one party sees 2 words which the other party says aren't there anymore. The question whether they should ever have been there in the first place on a live site is something else altogether.

The proper way forward is to ensure that this never needs to go to dispute and that the relationship with the client does not turn sour before the contract ends.

But please do not make it sound as if contacting support will immediately nuke someone's entire freelancing career because it won't.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 10

Petra, thank you for your excellent response to my post.

I don't really see anything I would dispute in what you said here.

Obviously I am not a very big fan of Upwork's "filing a dispute" process nor am I a strong supporter of contractors contacting Upwork's Customer Support department.

petra_r
Community Guru
7 of 10

@warren n wrote:

Hi Upwork Admin,

Right now she is complaining that she still sees the words "test101" and "helloworld" on her mobile devices,

Now I need an Admin from Upwork to moderate this issue.

You don't need anyone to moderate because there are only 2 possible scenarios here:

1) The words are there, in which case she needs to show you, and you need to fix it

2) The words are not there, in which case you need to patiently explain to her why she is seeing them and teach her how not to see them anymore.

There is nothing to moderate.

PS - Is is common practice to insert "test101" and "helloworld" into the code of a live site?

wnazareno
8 of 10

I used those words for markings/testing. Those are first words that came to my mind for testing.

But thanks guys for constructive comments.

I already fix this the problem.

But I have another question, what will I do if the client ask me to do things that is not included in her job description?

petra_r
Community Guru
9 of 10

@warren n wrote:

1) I used those words for markings/testing. Those are first words that came to my mind for testing.

But thanks guys for constructive comments.

2) I already fix this the problem.

3) But I have another question, what will I do if the client ask me to do things that is not included in her job description?

1) On a live site? Is that wise?

2) GREAT to hear it is fixed Smiley Happy

3) If it is out of scope for the project you can say:

"Hi Jenny, Sure we can do that! Sounds like a great idea. I would say $ 50 would cover the scope of this additional work. Would you prefer to set that up as a new milestone or include it in the payment of the current one when you release it? Just let me know and I'll get it done for you by....!"

wnazareno
10 of 10

@petra

thanks for the suggestion.

and constructive comments.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS