stags20

I want to report a scammer

Hi,

I recently got one of my first jobs on Upwork but unfortunately did not know about working outside of Upwork. I worked for this specific client for a week but he has failed to pay me two weeks down the line. I strongly believe that he is still scamming other freelancers like me. How do I report this to avoid other freelancers being scammed?

I can provide the entire proof of work and communication if you need it. I hope you will take immediate action to save other freelancers out there from being scammed. On a lighter note, I also got a new long term client just a few days later who has been paying as agreed. 

Concerned freelancer, 

Peter Kanai.

8 REPLIES 8
maheshajwani

Hi Peter,

unfortunately your post will be edited soon it's not allowed to post client's personal information.

I would suggest you to read community guidelines  and also Upwork"s Tos.

Hi,

Okay, I will surely do that. Can you answer that question? 

you can flag him and also report him to costumer support here is the link to contact costumer support. 

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us?flash_digest=f4d63ec3e827ef6f79d02d55bc4e19657478049b

good luck 

mrwoogy

To: Peter k one thing to do is what you just did post it in the forums. Here is another action to take, go to the original job post if its still on here, and in the top right hand corner somewhere you will see something which says "Flag As Inappropriate"  click on that and submit the information then click submit, it will be submitted to Upwork for them to review it.

petra_r

@Peter K wrote:
On a lighter note, I also got a new long term client just a few days later who has been paying as agreed. 

There is no contract showing on your profile - how has that client been paying you?

@Petra R wrote:

@Peter K wrote:
On a lighter note, I also got a new long term client just a few days later who has been paying as agreed. 

There is no contract showing on your profile - how has that client been paying you?

Not that I'm disagreeing with you about there being no contract but let's be honest, we cannot rely on Upwork to have up-to-date and accurate information in our profile.

I got a contract last night, it didn't show up on my profile for hours until after I already had starting working on it. It's an hourly project, I use the Team App to track my time. After around 5 hours of tracked time in the App and it showing in my work diary, my pofile showed I worked a *whole HOUR* on the job overall. 5 hours later at it still was out of date.

Like I said, I'm not disagreeing with you specially since this is his second contract and no information on either are showing up. Mostly agreeed to the work and is working outside Upwork so the client is just going to let the job sit without hiring anyone through Upwork properly. 

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tom,

To clarify, a contract will show up in a user's Work History once a payment has been processed for it. This is not the case with your contract.

Also, I suspect the difference you're seeing is due to the weekly billing cycle, which ends on Sunday at 23:59 UTC. I've checked and you did track time you referenced in your comment in your last week's Timesheet and continued working. The hours you tracked after the cut off time are recorded in this week's Work Diary and Timesheet, hence the confusion.

I see this is your first Hourly job, so please read about working and getting paid on Hourly jobs here and here. Let me know if you have any questions.

Untitled
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Peter,

Please take screenshots of your conversation with the client and report the client directly to SupportMake sure not to start working unless you have an active contract on Upwork (see more details here), use Upwork Protection Programs and only accept to get paid through the platform. 

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread.

You can find valuable information in the Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Help Center and by reading "A Freelancer's Guide to Upwork". I also suggest watching our educational videos and reading the best practice advice shared by other users:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Proposal Workshop Video

Untitled