Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I want to see competitors

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Razvan S Member Since: Mar 16, 2012
1 of 61

Hi guys,

Seeing the competitors when placing a bid was an option available some time ago. 

Maybe Upwork might take into consideration to bring this back, the platform seems kind of a lonely place since they took it out, not sure how to explain it.

Bests,

Razvan

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 61

re: "seems kind of a lonely place since they took it out"

You still have us.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
3 of 61

Everything is geared to getting you to blow through more connects.

If you knew the "competition", you might take "too long" to consider a particular job.

In particular, UpWork has singled out a particular country (for congrats!) that consistently undercuts everyone (successfully), so why bother, eh?

(You're neighbours in fact .... )

Highlighted
Otavio B Member Since: Apr 5, 2016
4 of 61

I see what you mean and relate to that. There´s 2 or 3 guys in my niche who served as a benchmark for me. It helped me a lot at beggining....somehow I learned some patterns, which kind of job they bid, which not...how many hours they were working.....It may sound stalkish Man Surprised, but it´s pure market research.

Now I´m unable to see if I didn't get a project because client were looking for more experienced or a US or Europe based freelancers, or chosen a lower rate. This kind of info is important, even if they just helped as a clue for educated guesses.

Best,

Otavio

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 61

@Otavio B wrote:

Now I´m unable to see if I didn't get a project because client were looking for more experienced or a US or Europe based freelancers, or chosen a lower rate.

So, it's just like if you were bidding directly on a project outside of Upwork?

Highlighted
6 of 61

No, I don´t see how that would be possible.

How would I know that other people were bidding outside? I´d have to know their email and messengers passwords, right?

I´m sorry if my post wasn´t clear enough, but in any moment I suggested that idea. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
7 of 61

@Otavio B wrote:

No, I don´t see how that would be possible.

How would I know that other people were bidding outside? I´d have to know their email and messengers passwords, right?

I´m sorry if my post wasn´t clear enough, but in any moment I suggested that idea. 

That's exactly my point. Now that you can't see those things on Upwork, it's just like every other bidding situation in the business world. 

Highlighted
8 of 61

Yes, but even in the "real world" sometimes you have info. Someone you deal at the client´s company says "dude, you lost because the boss wanted a senior this time" "Bid lower next time, things are slower this semester"....it happens when you make friends with clients.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
9 of 61

“Now I´m unable to see if I didn't get a project because client were looking for more experienced or a US or Europe based freelancers, or chosen a lower rate. This kind of info is important, even if they just helped as a clue for educated guesses.”

You must be great at patterns.

At Elance, we could see who was awarded the job.

That way we could tell if the client was looking for quality or from someone from his/her own backyard.

"Certa bonum certamen"
Highlighted
10 of 61

Hey Ravindra,

Audio restoration niche is not big, so it wasn´t hard to connect some dots. 

When I started here at Upwork (never been to elance) I could also see the awarded professional. I found that info valuable.

As you´re a big fan of sarcasm, just like me, I reccomend you this article about patterns: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/reading-a-sewing-pattern.html

Might be useful Smiley Tongue

Best,

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS