Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to see competitors

Highlighted
Community Leader
Rekha S Member Since: Jul 13, 2015
11 of 61

Otavio,

I've never needed the bid range even when I was on Elance. I simply use client's past job profile to check whether they've ever hired someone who is not from the Original-5 English speaking countries for any website work, or are likely to pay my rates for their blogging and newsletter work.

If they have, I apply.  If the hiring pattern shows otherwise, I don't bother wasting my time on a proposal, as it's going to end up in the trash bin anyway.

But I guess this method may not be useful in your niche.

Highlighted
Otavio B Member Since: Apr 5, 2016
12 of 61

Thanks a lot Rekha,

You understood my point perfectly and you strategy seems a good one. I´m going to spend a minute or two researching client´s hire history. Today I try to avoid client´s with no past history, but it´s not 100% safe, as I already landed good projects from 1st timers.

Your contribution was very helpful.

Best,

Otavio

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
13 of 61

There is no reason to see other bids. 

Highlighted
14 of 61

Can you tell me why? I´d like to have a good reason to get this bug out of my head.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen R Member Since: Jun 19, 2015
15 of 61

Wrong Jennifer.

Its the first time i have ever disagreed with you.

Man Sad

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
16 of 61

@Stephen R wrote:

Wrong Jennifer.

Its the first time i have ever disagreed with you.

Man Sad

That's not accurate. You disagreed with her all over the place about the price increase.

Care to share how you find other people's bids helpful? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen R Member Since: Jun 19, 2015
17 of 61

"Care to share how you find other people's bids helpful?"

#1 In the Graphics world you have several countries of origin you cant compete against.

Most the time its for logos or brochures. you will see 50 to over 100 proposals. 

Frankly i wont want to apply because its a cheap client who cares nothing about quality.

#2 I stay away from bids when i see "Agencies." 6 people with all the same portfolio with some sales guys bidding on everything they think they can knock out fast. Go to other freelance site and they are everywhere. Upwork has done a good job with them. But now i cant see if agencies are bidding or not.

#3 There are lots of very good designers who would get jobs. Its a chance to look at there profile and learn. Why are they successful and i cant get a job? We can learn from our peers and now that is lost to.

#4 Bidding is competition, Client sets a budget you make an offer. Maybe you busy and you bid high. Maybe you need the work and you bid lower than other freelancers? I can still see high and low bids and you know what i see now? Freelancners adding 20% to bids. I have done it and have gotten the job. On the other hand I have seen clients state "do not bid higher than my budget." 

Highlighted
18 of 61

Excellent explanation Stephen. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
19 of 61

Bidding is not a team sport! Why do you need to see the competitors? Like the job description? -- Go for it!

Highlighted
20 of 61

Alexandra,

Some of us have to manage our time building proposals, interviews, and so on.

On some circumstances, even manage connects. 

That´s why some of us use different strategies.

Thanks for your attention and encouragement.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS