Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to see competitors

Highlighted
Otavio B Member Since: Apr 5, 2016
31 of 61

@Rene K wrote:

I think they took it away because they were unable to fix the bugs in displaying the number and the list of applicants.

Never thought about that and it makes total sense.

Very butchy approach. Patient´s leg is hurting? Let´s get rid of it. Are you OK wth a cane, dude?

And in this thread we even gave them new reasons to keep it that way.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
32 of 61

@Stephen R wrote:

We need to see who is bidding.

Now its like driving a car blindfolded.

I'm wasting connects like there is no tomorrow.

I use to compare the bidders and the country of origin to the client and what the average pay is.

Then look who got the job to see if client want cheap work or a true quality.

You could learn and adapt. Thank god i could see all bids before Upwork changed eveything.

Dumb move Upwork.

I wont even go into to 20% fee now, another step backwards.

Happy bidding my fellow sheep.

You're in the US. You have a HUGE advantage over people from especially certain countries. Clients don't say it openly,  but they say it to me that they are hiring me one factor being that I'm in the US. Lots and LOTS of clients don't want to deal with the language barrier, the time zone difference, the terrible reputation for being scammers/low quality (sorry dudes, just telling you what clients are saying).

I get hired because I'm in the US a LOT. At my rate, and there is ALWAYS a $3/hour guy in the mix.

I think people in the same country as the client have a huge advantage. 

Highlighted
Otavio B Member Since: Apr 5, 2016
33 of 61

I agree with you in some level. Some clients take nationality as a factor, but the biggest projects I got came from US and England, and Brazilians have absolutely no tradition in the audio industry,.

I understand that when the project is bigger, clients spend more time checking the portfolio, reviews and details about candidates. For quick tasks, they prefer to take the easiest decision.

But some things are very peculiar. I did a job for a client from a country in southern Asia famous for its low cost labour force, and he was really great and generous, didn´t even tried to negotiate my rate. On the other side I had interviews with clients from rich countries that made me feel ashamed for them.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jan L Member Since: Jul 5, 2015
34 of 61

I don't miss seeing other competitors on job applications at all and I don't mind if I see who won the job. Lack of it actually sharpened my "bovine feces detector" to the point that I invest my connects with more care than before. 

If you won't to check your competitors check the A-game players of your field outside of Upwork - it helps you more than stalking freelancers here. Being freelancer is kinda lonely job anyway - so get used to it.

At the end of the day, even with fruitful stalking or research, your biggest competitor is you to yourself.  I understand a need to have your competition visible, but that feature is minor problem of this platform. The butchering analogy is more like tonsils removed than leg cut. 

Happy bidding, folks!

Highlighted
Community Leader
Joshua T Member Since: Apr 18, 2016
35 of 61

@Jan L wrote:

I understand a need to have your competition visible, but that feature is minor problem of this platform.

No, it's really not "minor". How am I supposed to understand why I keep getting passed over for work? If I could at least see what the winning bids are, I could judge whether or not I'm majorly overbidding. I've adjusted my rates to cope with the new fees, and haven't landed a job in six weeks.

I know what the average rate is for my line of work in the US. But on this platform? All bets are off, and I have no way of knowing what the standard is. That's not a "minor" issue.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen R Member Since: Jun 19, 2015
36 of 61

Yes you are spot on.

Its a huge issue.

I have many returning clients and i am busy.

But i have picked up barely any new clients since Upworker closed the curtains.

You have a steller profile.

I like the client who gave you teriffic feedback but gave you a 4.0?

Lame. I imagine that client wears a dress. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
37 of 61

I liked being able to see if the client invited a number of people. If a number of people were invited and their rates were a lot lower than mine, then I tended not to bother applying.

I've never adjusted my bid because of this. It was just useful in deciding whether I wanted to bother applying or not.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
38 of 61

@Stephen R wrote:

Yes you are spot on.

Its a huge issue.

I have many returning clients and i am busy.

But i have picked up barely any new clients since Upworker closed the curtains.

You have a steller profile.

I like the client who gave you teriffic feedback but gave you a 4.0?

Lame. I imagine that client wears a dress. 

Not sure if you're talking to me but I never look at my profile unless I've lost some points on an update but tbf I know when a client is rating me down enough to hit my score. I really don't care about the stars at all. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
39 of 61

I don't want to see dead people.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
40 of 61

I do not care who the 'competition' is. I do not see them as competition. If I like a job, I bid on it. If I get it YAY. If I do not get it...there is always another job to bid on.

The thing is, I do not sit and apply for everything I am qualified to do. I apply for that which interests me, and I apply sparingly.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS