Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was asked to do a job and no contract was made

orianap
Oriana P Member Since: Jun 27, 2017
1 of 9

Hello upwork!

I'm new to upwork so this is new for me. I send a proposal for a job title **Edited for Community Guidelines**. The client contact me and he wanted me to send him a few gifs samples for him to get an idea of my choice, so I did. After he approved the samples he asked me how much will I charge for giving him 100 gifs per day for a few days and I said $15 per day since he specified an hourly contract. I asked him how many days he was willing to pay, the client responded: 10days to 2 months. He didn't like the offer so I lower it down to $8 per day and the client just told me he will let you know in some time. I just said: Ok sir. Let me know when you changed your mind. He put me in hold for a few hours and finally accepted the 8$ por day.  Even though I sended a 100$ bid just as his budget said. I started working and I sended him the first 100 gifs. He responded two days later after sending him my work. But after checking the previous job I had I new something was missing. I checked if there was an avaliable contract but when I realized there was no contract from that client. So I checked in the forum to see if that was normal and of course it was not. I red a similar case to mine. So after reading that I politely asked the client if he send me an offer or a contract in order to work for him because I didn't see any active contract. That upwork doesn't allow me to work without a contract so the client answer they we are in process of sending me the offer. So i responded to the client and let him know that once he sends me the offer I will deliver the work to him. I've been waiting for the offer two days ago and I see no answer coming from my client. He connects and discconects but I still no hearing anything from the client. I don't know what to do this is the first time that something like this happens to me. I'm new to upwork. I don't know if I did the right think, stop sending him my work without a contract. I know that ypu can request to cancell the contract if the client has gone silent but I don't even have a contract. And he hasn't pay me work the work done. 

zoomconcepts
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
2 of 9

Accept that you might have to cut your losses and move on from this one. 

You've already done the right thing - stopped working and asked for a contract. There's not much more you can do on your end. He'll either be a decent human being and open one (although it takes way less than two days to send an offer) to pay you for the work already done and future work, or he'll disappear and go back to other less proactive newbies who will finish the job for free. The latter seems more likely at this point. Take it as a learning experience and never start work without an active contract. 

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 9

Hi Oriana,

I checked and see you communicated with this client yesterday. Please allow them a bit more time to follow up with an offer but don't continue working on their job before you receive and accept their offer. Please review these safety tips and freelancer resources, and use your existing work samples or ask for payment if creating custom samples when submitting proposals or during the interview stage. Note that requesting free work is a ToS violation and report the client to Customer Support if you receive a similar request.

Untitled
hernandez-luz
Community Leader
Luz H Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
4 of 9

Hey, Oriana.

Take it as a lesson: you never send your work without a contract! Never.

You can always say something like "Sure, sir. As soon as the contract is on, I'll send you a file. I'm working on it in the meantime." That's my formula.

The ONLY exception to this rule is when you are dealing with a long-time customer, a client who you've already known from previous contracts and, even so, it's a risk you take.

So, remember: be polite always, but NEVER give even a little piece of your work without an active contract which guarantees your payment.

Good luck!

hernandez-luz
Community Leader
5 of 9

And, since we are here giving some tips, let me say this: NEVER accept a work outside of Upwork. You'll find some unscrupulous people who will ask for your e-mail and alternative ways of payment, such as PayPal. Take my word: It's a scam. You have to learn to manage this type of tricky offers and refuse it. You will know if your tone will be polite or a resounding NO! So, don't fall in that cheap trap.

Regards!

barada00
Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
6 of 9

100 gifs for $8 sounds like a bargain to me. He would most probably follow up. If he doesn't you can decrease the amount to $5 or make 150 gifs for $8.

hernandez-luz
Community Leader
7 of 9

@Baris A wrote:

100 gifs for $8 sounds like a bargain to me. He would most probably follow up. If he doesn't you can decrease the amount to $5 or make 150 gifs for $8.

What? What are you saying? Lower her already low rates? I don't understand... 

barada00
Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
8 of 9

@Luz H wrote:

What? What are you saying? Lower her already low rates? I don't understand... 

Neither do I.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
9 of 9

Orlana - Your first mistake is when you lowered your proposal rate. When you do that, in my opinion, it shows the client that they can manipulate you. You proposal an amount that reflects how you value your work, skills and expertise.

Second mistake was to send him samples which I assume were specific to what the client was looking for. That consitutities free work.

Third, you started work without a contract

Fourth, without the clients account being verified

Fifth, worked without escrow being FULLY funded.

So, at this point, there's absolutely Nothing you can do. Do not expect the client to reply back to you or to pay you. (never mind create a contract.) The client got exactly what he wanted. 100 gifs for fee.

The Only right thing you did was to stop work.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS