🐈 Community

I was scammed

I'm a newbie in upwork.I sent a proposal to a client and she chatted me. I agree for the project.  Since I'm a newbie, I wasn't able to do other things like to set a contract in that post. Our transactions are all in the messages tab. We agree that her two projects would cost only $50.00. It was already part of the active candidacies. But when I open my upwork account this morning, the post changes its status as "declined by client". I already gave her two files and she commended the first one. Please help me with my concern. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r

@Helden Shalynae P wrote:

Please help me with my concern. 

No contract = You learned the hard way not to give away your work for free.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
petra_r

Please help me with my concern. 

No contract = You learned the hard way not to give away your work for free.

I thought that is how it works. 

I thought that is how its works because we transact through chat. I was just a member for 1 week in upwork, there are still things that I dont understand. 

I'm a newbie in upwork.I sent a proposal to a client and she chatted me. I agree for the project.  Since I'm a newbie, I wasn't able to do other things like to set a contract in that post. Our transactions are all in the messages tab. We agree that her two projects would cost only $50.00. It was already part of the active candidacies. But when I open my upwork account this morning, the post changes its status as "declined by client". I already gave her two files and she commended the first one. Please help me with my concern. 

Helden, you wrote, "I already gave her two files". That's exactly right, when you send anything to a client without a contract, you're giving it to them. So you *maybe* lost $50, and maybe you didn't because there are clients who never hire anyone and only create jobs so they can trick new freelancers into giving them free work.

Is ther a way we can track clients? Or does the upwork has an access to them?

Is ther a way we can track clients? Or does the upwork has an access to them?

In future just work once you have either a funded milestone within a fixed rate contract, or an hourly contract on which you can log time.

If you choose to give away your work without a contract, there is no way for the client to pay you even if the client had any intention of doing so, which this client clearly doesn't.

The only way to get anything out of this client would be for the client to hire you and then pay you.

I don't see that happening any time soon.

So you mean I'll just accept that the file I gave her is for free? Are there other solutions for it?

So you mean I'll just accept that the file I gave her is for free? Are there other solutions for it?

Like what?

You need to learn how the site works and how to use it professionally. This means not working without a contract and not handing over files without making sure there is either a funded milestone in place, or you have logged the time properly with an hourly contract.

I would suggest you read all the resources listed here.

I understand that it feels horrible to have been duped, but in a way it led you to understand how it doesn't work very early on, and chances are it won't happen again because you now know what to look out for: ( no Upwork Contract on your "My Jobs" page = no work!)

Okay. I totally understand now. It's really terrible experience since its the first task I made here. Thank you so much for your advise.

Hi Helden,

I see that you already submitted a ticket for this issue. I'll follow up with our team and ask them to update you directly.

Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it.

Learning Paths