🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I was sent an interview opportunity. How do I...
Page options
msmith7295
Community Member

I was sent an interview opportunity. How do I send the solution to the client.

Hello,

I was sent a job opportunity and the job is closed. This is fine, although, I finished the job for a challenge and fun and wanted to send the solution to the client for free. How do I do this? 

Kind Regards,

Matthew 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I was sent a job opportunity and the job is closed. This is fine, although, I finished the job for a challenge and fun and wanted to send the solution to the client for free. How do I do this?"

You don't.

That is not how the platform works.

If you figure out how to contact the client, and then contact him outside of the Upwork platform, this is grounds for termination. If you are caught doing that, you can be permanently removed from Upwork.

You are new here, and you do not completely understand Upwork. So I am going to strongly urge people reading this thread to not "pile on." But please understand that Upwork is a professional freelancer work platform, and as such, it is expected that clients post jobs and pay for work that is done.

If all of the freelancers here simply did the work for free, then this would completely contravene Upwork's business model. Your enthusiasm and service-oriented mindset is a good thing. I'm not criticizing that. When you want to provide free solutions, please do so here: http://www.StackOverflow.com

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I was sent a job opportunity and the job is closed. This is fine, although, I finished the job for a challenge and fun and wanted to send the solution to the client for free. How do I do this?"

You don't.

That is not how the platform works.

If you figure out how to contact the client, and then contact him outside of the Upwork platform, this is grounds for termination. If you are caught doing that, you can be permanently removed from Upwork.

You are new here, and you do not completely understand Upwork. So I am going to strongly urge people reading this thread to not "pile on." But please understand that Upwork is a professional freelancer work platform, and as such, it is expected that clients post jobs and pay for work that is done.

If all of the freelancers here simply did the work for free, then this would completely contravene Upwork's business model. Your enthusiasm and service-oriented mindset is a good thing. I'm not criticizing that. When you want to provide free solutions, please do so here: http://www.StackOverflow.com

pudingstudio
Community Member

Matthew S wrote:

Hello,

I was sent a job opportunity and the job is closed. This is fine, although, I finished the job for a challenge and fun and wanted to send the solution to the client for free. How do I do this? 

Kind Regards,

Matthew 

Why?

No benefit in doing any work for free.

You've done it for a challenge and fun, which is awesome for you.

WHY would you send it to a client for free?

Send it to me, I'll admire it, will let you know how great of job you've done, will appreciate it.

It was something to start my day out with. I don't get a lot of challenges in my language of choice (Powershell). Not to say this one was hard, but just something to do. I like to help people and I make plenty doing contracts and other gigs for people outside of UpWork. I have never sold a gig on here because they want cheap work, not senior developers. Anyway, thanks for the response. 

Matthew S wrote:

It was something to start my day out with. I don't get a lot of challenges in my language of choice (Powershell). Not to say this one was hard, but just something to do. I like to help people and I make plenty doing contracts and other gigs for people outside of UpWork. I have never sold a gig on here because they want cheap work, not senior developers. Anyway, thanks for the response. 

Freelancing isn't about charity. It is about making money. If you start giving away work to clients no matter how deserving, you are doing other freelancers who need the money (which clearly you don't) out of a job. So you are not "helping people" at all. If you want to learn how Upwork operates then try reading up on it from here: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

Thank you for the overwhelming answer everyone. Have a great day! 

Matthew S wrote:

I like to help people  

Then help fellow freelancers by not working for free, which harms the platform and everyone on it.

Petra R wrote:

Matthew S wrote:

I like to help people  

Then help fellow freelancers by not working for free, which harms the platform and everyone on it.

I already accepted a solution. Thank you for your concern. The client wanted to pay $10, I'm sorry I harmed everyone over $10. 

A month ago I did a client's job as a challenge and to improve my skills. (It's very unusual in my area for a job post to contain all the information required,  but this was an exception.) In fact I was uncertain if it was worth submitting a proposal as the work was a bit outside of what I usually do. But I decided to go ahead,  and attached to my proposal a screen shot of my output,  but not my code. The task was,  anyway , just a representative example of a series of tasks that the client would need done. I didn't really expect a reply and didn't get one... until a month later when I got a message, "when can you start?". I've started now,  and it looks like being a good long term job. In my experience you can never predict which proposals will succeed and which won't. I've landed jobs when I thought my proposal was a real long- shot; and had no reply when I thought I had a great chance. You never know.  

MS,

You are new and I'm sure you have good intentions.

Nevertheless, I must strongly reiterate Petra's rock solid advice to all FL's (especially newbies).

In addition, the Upwork Terms of Use are very clear when it comes to client requested "tests/samples/challenges/contests"-

"4.1 EXAMPLES OF PROHIBITED USES OF THE SITE

Requesting or demanding free services, including requesting Freelancers to submit work as part of the proposal process for very little or no money or posting contests in which Freelancers submit work with no or very little pay, and only the winning submission is paid the full amount"

Providing free work directly damages the platform and all of your fellow FLs.

Work smart, work safe!

wb

william b wrote:

In addition, the Upwork Terms of Use are very clear when it comes to client requested "tests/samples/challenges/contests"-

In the OPs case I don't think the client requested any free work, he took it upon himself to do it out of the goodness of his heart?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members