cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was stolen by upwork

Marcela M Member Since: May 8, 2019
1 of 44
Hello,
I made a hard job and upwork just took my money away, they do not give me any valid reason and insist on hiding information for me. I think they hide all because the ay have no valid reason to take my money away.
I want to know if I can take legal actions against upwork. I loosed 600USD and more than 24 hours with no sleeping.
They do not give me any explanation. And maybe is nothing for you, but 600 USD makes difference for me, and I earned them.
Please, help, I want upwork to pay for this
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 44

Marcela M wrote:
Hello,
I made a hard job and upwork just took my money away, they do not give me any valid reason and insist on hiding information for me.

What happened?

Fixed rate contract or hourly contract?

Usually a funds reversal is because either the client never paid for your work (and your hours were not logged according to the terms of the protection)  or there was a chargeback. The party you have an issue with is almost invariably the client.

3 of 44

Hello, 
Thanks for you reply,
Tis was hourly job. The client tells me he did nothing wrong, but it appears as upwork refunded him. I am very confused, and upwork people is more abil evading questions than the politicians in latinoamerica :'(.
I cannot pass this by, I am destroid and my trust in upwork completely fell. I am sad this is the only way I have to get jobs as my talent is null for people in Colombia.
I hope the one whi took this money really enjoy with it.
Does anybody know how I can begin a legal action against upwork?

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
4 of 44

Hi Marcela,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had.

I checked your tickets and I can see that our team has advised you on your ticket with number 25531861. I can also see that you have followed up with additional questions on your ticket and our team member will assist you further as soon as possible.

Please keep in mind that in order to be eligible for our Hourly Payment protection you will need to fulfill all criteria listed in this Help Article

I would also recommend to check out the Safety First section in this Thread. If you have any additional questions feel free to post them on your ticket and our team will assist you further. Thank you.

Untitled
5 of 44

I do not trust upwork anymore. You can just take the money I get with real effort away with no explanation. 
How can a begin a legal way against you?

Community Guru
6 of 44

Marcela M wrote:

You can just take the money I get with real effort away with no explanation.

It looks like the client failed to pay Upwork for your hours, and your hours were not logged in accordance to the hourly protection. If you had logged your hours properly, Upwork would have paid you out of their own pocket.

Did you log your hours with the tracker? Did you have high activity levels and meaningful work memos?

7 of 44

OK, it was like this. 
The client needed a program made using assembly language (which is very specific and complicated). He needed to be sure the task was working on a hard deadline. This was a job that you suceed or not. That is why not until I succeed he officially contract me in upwork. We defined I was going to receive 600USD, so they paid that hour at 740USD, so after upwork taking 140, I will have my 600. I reported the hour, as I have done many times. I cannot understand why they just pick my hour to be as "fraudulent". According to the client, they just did the pay, and that is why I doubt so much on upwork. It looks like they saw a high rated hour and just say is not valid, and did not even check I was chating with this client for around 24 hours with no stopping. I was not laughing with him, I WAS WORKING ALL NIGHT!!!!!. I have the conversation to probe it.
Also, when I ask upwork people to tell me if my client was indeed a fraud, they reply "we cannot give details to protect privacy". How can they prefer protect the privacy of someone that is supposed to be a fraud?. Anyway, I am nos asking for details, I am just want them to assure me that it was a fraudulent transaction from the clients side, or just a whim of upwork to do not let me get what I earned!

8 of 44

Or maybe they are alert for the "papaya" and wait somebody makes a mistake reporting the hours, so they can take the money with the excuse is not under the protection rules?. That is bad

Community Guru
9 of 44

Marcela M wrote:

Or maybe they are alert for the "papaya" and wait somebody makes a mistake reporting the hours, so they can take the money with the excuse is not under the protection rules?. That is bad

They will never "take" the money. It is either sent to you or returned to the client or was never there in the first place.

To be honest it is no wonder that alarmbells went off, you trying to log one hour at $ 720 per hour looks dodgy as hell, and NOT how you should try and get paid $ 600... The way to get paid $ 600 is for the client to set up a fixed rate contract for $ 720 and fund it, **OR** for you to track your time at your proper rate while doing the work.

Manual time is never protected, so if the client's payment method failed or there was something dodgy about the transaction, you lose out. You can only be protected if funds are in Escrow, or you track your time.

It is also dodgy to do $ 720 worth of work without a contract.

10 of 44

Ok, thanks for your reply.
1) So why they cannot tell me which is this case
What is precisely what I want to know: "either sent to you or returned to the client or was never there in the first place". But they still evading this simple question. WHY???

2. What are you suggesting with "dodgy"? Are you suggesting I am kind of delincuent trying to take benefit from an online platform? I invite you to look at my profile before you say I am beind "dodgy". I have worked with Upwork for so long, with excellent reputation and no problems until now. So please, do not try to offend me, because I already am.
3) I did not add manually work, i recorded using the app as I have done many times.

Kind regards

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS